Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

exhaust... sucking in..?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 08:21 AM
Default exhaust... sucking in..?

Okay so after finally getting everything set with my idle and having the car out together, my brother wants me to fire up the eclipse. After noticing a pulsing in the exhaust, he does a dollar bill test (see a subaru forum lol XD) and determines that multiple times, the exhaust tried to suck in the bill, meaning there was a vacuum effect going INTO the exhaust. He says its probably a burnt exhaust valve, but does anyone else have any thoughts?

Old 06-24-2010, 01:56 PM
Banned

He's right.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:13 PM

haha thanks sebba I was hoping for someone to say "hes wrong its cuz he likes subaru" Im thinkin Ill go and do a compression test and see what I can find. If I keep her and tear down the motor Im definitely beefin up the internals and getting ready for forced induction. I saw a supercharger kit for the 420a, I know I wont get it but its still a cool thought. If I dont go that route, I may just sell or trade, tryin to get a spyder anyways.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:28 PM
Banned

Good start. The compression test should tell you a lot.

In my opinion, don't bother with going turbo (no supercharger for these cars). Simply fix the burnt valve if that's the problem. Or just sell it as is, keep your mouth shut, and then buy a GSX or GST.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:31 AM

My main goal is to get a spyder and- if its a gst spyder- do the awd conversion. If its the gs spyder- I wanna put a mivec into it. Im not one to go along with everyone else in a crowd, if I can manage to do something different Ill do it. And apparently GM has a super that will fit the 420a, Ive looked at it and checked out the price, saw it installed. It wasnt worth the money.

The thing with my car is, I had an option. Take the RS with its problems or keep my mazda. I took the RS and the mazdas motor died a week later out of nowhere. So I may not have my spyder, but its a start. Ill be posting mine on craigslist for 3500 or trade for spyder once Im done with the body.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:05 PM
Banned

It seems like you aren't afraid to pick up wrenches.

Why not pick up a few more and just switch out the valve?

Old 06-26-2010, 04:42 PM

Thats just it, I have no problem replacin the valve, but like I said above... if I go in to replace the valve, Im obviously gonna replace all 16. And while I have the topend under the knife Id also be doin piston rings, probably pistons and rods as well, check and replace/upgrade cams, and while putting it back together: new timing kit, which would include water pump and while Im at it oil pump.

Im not afraid of pickin up a wrench, I grew up with a gearhead dad who was workin on novas, chevelles and 442s at my age. We got a gmc safari spankin half the hondas around here. What I am afraid of is dumping a few grand into stuff for this base model that I cant simply take off and install in another dsm. I mean, a catback I can pull off and put on my buddys GS, the halo projectors I can keep for that spyder. But new rods, pistons, valves, cams etc. would all stay in the motor. Thats a pretty penny to just give away in a base model n/t.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:30 AM
Banned

Sounds like you know what the **** you're doing.

But honestly, save the cash and spend it on a car with more potential.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:41 AM

Thats what Im gettin at, I hate the idea of wasting the money. WHen I have my spyder Ill go all out. Thats why Im doin mainly bolt-ons for now, and thats why I was hopin to get any other ideas for the issue. I mean, the car has a lot of potential even as a base model.. its all a matter of how much you put in, and i cant afford all that lol. Why dump a grand into a n/t just to get it equal to a stock gst? That grand coulda made the gst even faster.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:16 PM

Other than the valve, theres really nothing bad about the car. I just replaced the broken rear bumper with an AITracing rear bumper. Thing was a pain in the *** but I guess it adds to the value of the car right? So long as I can keep the oem bumper on the convertible Im happy. I have some blitz sideskirts but thats not my thing, Ill stick them in the car when I bring it to NY. Other than that, I already invested into my car: brand new catback exhaust, rear disc conversion, drilled/slotted rotors, 10mm spark plug wires, new throttlebody, as well as a bunch of non-performance entertainment stuff such as a couple dvd head units, dvd sunvisors, new speakers all around, custom ignition, subs, the works. This guy has a 97 GS spyder, stock minus whatever of the exhaust was done, possibly just a new muffler. Im gonna have to do the rear disc conversion all over again, as well as probably a catback system, Ill have to locate an intake for it (cant find one for the spyder) The best part is the new tranny. If it werent for the desire for a spyder Id feel very ripped off... what do you think?