Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

exhuast question

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 11:39 PM
Default exhuast question

I almost have enough money to buy my new exhuast system and my headers. I am more then likely going to go with borla exhuast. My eclipse is n/a and I might turbo it in the future. IF I turbo my car will I have to change my exhuast and headers? Also does anyone know how much performance increase the exhuast and headers add and how does the borla exhuast sound?

Old 11-04-2004, 11:02 PM
Default RE: exhuast question

you will have to change your headers, so if you are planning on turboing save your money up till you can buy a turbo exhaust mani.. unless this plan is far down the road. it would be pointless to buy a header that you will have to sell later for half the price...and im sure you will see around (don't quote me on this) 20hp to the wheels with headers back exhaust

Old 11-27-2004, 02:45 AM

don't bother with a header for an eclipse....most of the ones on the market only give minor HP gains if anything...

Old 11-29-2004, 09:18 PM

this is true.. like I said, if you are plannin on turboing anyway.. just save up and forget the new heads

Old 12-01-2004, 02:34 PM

I have heard the borla's on a 97 eclipse non-turbo and it sounded great. It was the 2.75" system and the only other mod was an intake. If you've ever heard the RS*R system, it sounds very similiar to that at idle, and at WOT it sounds somewhat like the apexi n1. I liked how it sounded, very deep and toned down. Not like a buzzy honda lawnmower.

Old 12-05-2004, 06:33 PM

If you wanna turbo but have that itch to do something now go with the muffler, borlas are very nice, might wanna check out magnaflow as well.

Old 12-07-2004, 12:16 AM

ORIGINAL: vertstanggt

If you wanna turbo but have that itch to do something now go with the muffler, borlas are very nice, might wanna check out magnaflow as well.
Nah you don't have to do all that, basically the flanges and physical shape of the exhaust system for the non turbo cars are the same for the FWD turbo cars. The only difference's were internally, like a different muffler and resonator. So you can actually buy an exhaust made for the turbo cars and it will fit on yours. Also, a good cheap exhaust upgrade is the stock GST exhaust. In the VFAQS it explains it a little more, but apparantly the GS and RS uys have done the swap and liked it.

Old 12-09-2004, 09:43 PM

quote:

ORIGINAL: vertstanggt

Nah you don't have to do all that, basically the flanges and physical shape of the exhaust system for the non turbo cars are the same for the FWD turbo cars. The only difference's were internally, like a different muffler and resonator. So you can actually buy an exhaust made for the turbo cars and it will fit on yours. Also, a good cheap exhaust upgrade is the stock GST exhaust. In the VFAQS it explains it a little more, but apparantly the GS and RS uys have done the swap and liked it.
I have no idea what you are talking about, what I said actually agrees with what you said, I said just go ahead and get the muffler, you can turbo down the road and I reccomended another type as well.

Old 12-14-2004, 01:22 AM

What i mean is that he can just go ahead and get a complete catback system. No need to just buy a muffler and weld it on, the exhaust system from the cat is virtually the same. Even from the header, the cat converter for the turbo and non-turbo are in the same spot and share the same flanges. He can get a complete cat-back and a hiflow cat and it will *usually* work with the header or downpipe he chooses to buy. Yeah, after i read your last reply, i was like "what the hell am talking about?" Then i re-read the question and figured out what i was trying to say....

Old 12-14-2004, 07:15 AM

you can go ahead and install your performance exhaust system......but for the header system, uhhh i, dunnoe bro...since ya' goin to turbocharge your baby, well you goin to need to buy a manifold esp. made to fit the turbo (depends on size of your turbo) but for now, stick w/ the exhaust system. and worry about the header later...[:-]

Quick Reply: exhuast question