Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Flex Pipe Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 01:38 AM
Default Flex Pipe Needed!

I took my car to the shop and they found out that I need a new flex pipe. They said its only gonna be found from a manufacturer but I really dont know how to get my hands on one. Any suggestions?

Old 08-20-2008, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Flex Pipe Needed!

then they are a dumb shop to think you need a manufacturer. If you go to almost any muffler shop they will have standard flex pipes in stock and all they will do is cut the old one out and weld the new one in. Shouldnt cost much. I think i got it done for like $30

Old 08-20-2008, 03:00 PM

so by standard you mean universal? Thants strange cuz mufflers and exhausts are their specialty.....they even called their personal parts supplier and he couldnt find one.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

yea that sounds kinda iffy. Cuz when i had mine replaced the guy just looked on his shelf and found a universal one that fit. Its not like its a very complicated part

Old 08-20-2008, 08:25 PM

well i know he said "flex pipe" so unless your thinkin of a different part.....

its the part with the metal weaving around it....i guess its like a protective covering?

Old 08-21-2008, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator

no its not a protective covering. The pipe is exactly what it sounds like with the name "flex" pipe. It is there because the motor torques a bit when you rev it or are driving, and in order to prevent cracking in the exaust system piping or flanges they install a flex pipe on the downpipe in order to allow it to flex with the motor and take the movement out of the exhaust. I know exactly what part you are talking. And it is not uncommon at all for them to fray and break since it is a brittle flex metal material. That is why i dont understand the complication with them. Because any universal flex pipe will do the trick as long as its the correct pipe size

Old 08-21-2008, 08:24 AM

i knew that the flex pipe wasnt an actual covering, but doesnt it have a covering around it? cuz mine did and maybe thats what makes it special.......what model did you have one replaced?

Old 08-21-2008, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

i know what covering your talking about, its a weaving. Every car i have ever seen has the same bacis design. That weaving over metal is what allows it to flex.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:40 AM

so its like between the cat converter and the heads?

Old 08-21-2008, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

yup, i guarentee it is a standard universal part. It is located on the downpipe.

Quick Reply: Flex Pipe Needed!