Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

HOW MUCH HORSE POWER CAN I GET OUT OF MY NON TURBO

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 02:00 PM
Default HOW MUCH HORSE POWER CAN I GET OUT OF MY NON TURBO

Hey guys, i can a gs, i want to go with a naturally aspirated set-up... im wondering how much horse power cud i get out of it, with a rebuilt motor and all, NOT A TURBO, all naturally aspirated....thanks

Old 10-08-2007, 02:20 AM
Default RE: HOW MUCH HORSE POWER CAN I GET OUT OF MY NON TURBO

Sounds like you're trying to do the same thjing I plan with my '03. I think your car was rated around 140-160 horses stock. With your basic bolt-ons you can get close to 200 (probably180-190 range), but that's only with the engine mods. A lighter flywheel, if you have a manual, will help you get more power to your wheels too. Beyand that, it can get pretty pricey

Old 10-08-2007, 02:30 AM

the 03 is different to the 420a found in the 2g... which one do you have, cuz if you have the 420a... dont expect more than a daily drivr

Old 10-08-2007, 02:38 AM

mine is a 4G64 and his should be a 4G62. Those 2nd gen had a strong bottom end, cuz you could stick a turbo on there without worries. But true, if you want power a turbo is the way to go.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:42 AM

no no no... youre wrong, if hes got a 2g there are 3 ways to go GSX, GST: 4g63, SPYDER: 4g64, RS GS: 420a, his nick is 97, he says its a gs. Hes running a 420a, =) hehe trust me i know the story well, and if its the 420a he cant really stick a turbo there without worries

Old 10-08-2007, 02:50 AM

I figured they ran the same block because that was before they offered a v6 in an eclipse. I don't know much about the 420a, cuz I couldn't get financing back then. Oh well. Sounds like an engine swap would be good for him then.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:03 AM

it would actually, if the 4g63 could fit on the bay of the rs or gs... it might actually, but all the work, labor, soldering, the whole adaptation is just... not worth it... its cheaper to get a GSX or GST in working conditions... cuz for starters... the engine is mounted on the opposite side of the bay

Old 10-09-2007, 10:41 AM

97eclipse - in my 99 GS (same motor and setup as you) I had a Thermal catback, OBX racing header, obx high flow cat, AEM cold air intake, Venom 400 performance chip, EGR Blockoff valve, port and polished throttle body, greddy grounding kit, and on a mustang dyno i put down 111whp. you won't get much power out of this motor simply because... they weren't meant to go fast. you only options are spending 5k on an engine swap, 4k on a turbo, or selling your car and putting another 2 or 3g into getting a gs-t or gsx.

CDub - looks lke you need to be doing some more research. the 420a is rated at 140bhp and i think that's a very generous number. it is EXTREMELY hard to get 200whp out of a 140bhp car n/a. sticking a turbo on this car has plenty of worries along with it along w/ a huge price tag and a minimum amount of boost you can run before the bottom end needs rebuilt. You should definatly do some research before giving any more advise, not trying to be a dick just don't want you guessing on something and end up blowing up somebodies car.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:41 AM

Wow! I did get the conversation going at least! My numbers were only a bhp estimate, not at the wheels, but looking into it it seems like if someone was out for power, the the gst/gsx was the best option. The 420a platform just wasn'tmeant for much aftermarket add ons.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:56 AM

exactly. i mean think about it... it's a freaking neon motor... how many people do you know ask how to soop up their neons? the eclipse is a beautiful car and the non turbo's i would have to think are meant for nothing more than looking good. mine looked good... i was going to boost it but just accepted the fact that if i did.. i'd be wasting a loootttt of money. i did the usual 'go parts' that most poeple do and then some but it just wasn't worth it. i wasn't ragging on you or anything, just letting you know that you need to make sure you know what ur taking about before giving advise. a good example is "throw a turbo on there and you shouldn't have any worries" tisk tisk, these cars can only take between 8 and 10 psi before the bottom end gives... they are just crappy motors, period. if somebody is looking for speed, the turbo'd models are the way to go.

Quick Reply: HOW MUCH HORSE POWER CAN I GET OUT OF MY NON TURBO