Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Intake Purchasing Guide

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 03:22 AM
Default Intake Purchasing Guide

Most people have questions on which intake to purchase so i thought i'd post this:

Short Ram Intakes

Easily the most affordable intake you can buy, short ram intakes incorporate the most efficient design. Having a short pipe allows the engine to more easily access the air it needs to breathe. The issue with this intake however is that it takes in hot air from the engine bay, air which can reach into the hundreds of degrees. Hot air is less dense, and will have a lower number of oxygen molecules per cubic foot than cold air. The explosions in the combustion chamber depend on oxygen. If there is less oxygen, the explosion will be weaker and create less power.

An arguement made for short rams is that underhood air temperatures will be generally the same as the outside air when the car is moving. There have been tests that have shown both sides, but one thing is for certain, starting from a standstill you will definitely be drawing in very hot air for the first few seconds of your run.

Advantages:
-Short pipe length with minimal number of bends allows for quick and efficient airflow entry into the engine.
-Risk of sucking water into the engine is no greater than with the stock intake.

Disadvantages:
-Brings in hot air from inside the engine bay especially when starting from a standstill

Cold Air Intakes (traditional long tube style)

The infamous cold air intake (CAI), thousands of import fans swear on cold air intakes to help their cars run at peak performance. Brands like AEM and Injen have made a big name for themselves just from this part alone. These cold air intakes are designed to suck in air from behind the turn signal, inside the fender, or in some cases from the front of the car. The air is much cooler in these places than inside the engine bay which allows a higher density of oxygen to be sucked in, resulting in a larger explosion inside the combustion chamber.

Advantages:
-Brings in cooler air from the outside allowing a higher density of oxygen molecules to enter the combustion chamber giving a more powerful explosion on ignition.

Disadvantages:
-High risk of sucking water into engine in partially flooded areas.
-Longer pipe and more bends will cause slight hesitation of airflow and may restrict power in bigger cammed engines.

Purchasing Guide

For normal short ram and long tube intakes, you can pretty much get anything and they will perform the same. These days everyone has copied one another so the diameter and bend radius that AEM originally used years ago to be the "best" has now been copied by every Joe Blow Performance shop out there. Go for the eBay special with these intakes.

The only exception really in that category is the Knights Engineering Iceman Intake. This intake consists of a two-piece plastic tube which decreases in diameter as it reaches the throttle body. This multi-diameter design was meant to increase the speed of airflow as it travels up the tube. Also being plastic, it doesn't have the inherent heatsink properties that most aluminum/chrome intakes do.

For hybrid intakes, you have basically have the Comptech Icebox. Comptech Iceboxes are insulated plastic airboxs which draw air in from a tube that extends downward to pick up cold air via a velocity stack type opening. You can use the Comptech Icebox with the stock intake hose and filter if you choose. You can also get Comptech's drop-in filter to add to the Icebox on your stock hose which is the recommended setup as it fits better. Or you can get the full setup which includes the Comptech short ram pipe, which will all run you a little over $300.

Of special mention is the Arospeed FMIS (Front Mount Intake System). This interesting design places a large flat air filter in front of your radiator. Aerospeed claims tha air will be forced into the intake when you are traveling at speed, creating more power. I claim they are full of it, and that's not the only problem I have with this intake.

For one, the intake pipe is too long. Shorter pipes are more efficient, the engine does not like to have to work to get its air. Second, the "ram air" that they claim the FMIS gives you is impossible given the design of the pipe mounted sideways to the direction of airflow. Third, this thing is just plain dangerous. All the airborne crap like bugs, rocks, goo, and whatever that you see murder your front bumper is now in direct position to murder your engine. Traveling at speed, there's definitely a possibility of some of that crap busting through the air filter. Fourth, to counteract reason 3, there is a safety device they offer for the FMIS called the Lexan Window. This blocks all that airborne debris however it then takes away the entire advantage that they advertised you would have by having the air filter mounted in the front of your car. And lastly, with the intake now in front (especially using the Lexan Window), airflow to your radiator is now blocked and coolant ventilation is kept at a minimum. I'm sure I don't have to tell anyone that this is a bad thing.

So hopefully with this everyone can understand the basics of selecting an intake. Again this article is very basic and does not cover the other more "extreme" setups out there.And remember, it's only an intake, in the grand scheme of things this will be the least important mod on your car so just get what meets your needs and budget the best.

Old 10-02-2005, 03:42 AM
Default RE: Intake Purchasing Guide

no comments? wow i thought alot of people would enjoy this information. Please leave feedback so i can know if the information was helpful or if you see anything i need to change!

Old 10-05-2005, 02:40 PM

Thank you for the information... I found it very useful when i went out to purchase an intake.

Old 10-05-2005, 03:40 PM

glad the information helped you out!

Old 10-07-2005, 04:58 PM

I purchased an Injen CAI from J.C. Whitney for my 93 Talon 4G37.

This gave me a very noticable 15 to about 20 more hp.
I need these horses because I merge onto a busy freeway every day.

Anyhow, my comment here is that after installing this upgraded intake, I experienced
some wierd 'surging' on deceleration.

Then, (after a long lean deceleration) when I stepped her down to resume accelerating
-the fuel would 'lag' (and not go rich ) thus causing a stall or hesitation.

WTHeck ?!

Finally, I adjusted the throttle position sensor to read about 1/4" more throttle.

This fixed my problem.

What do you guys think ? The new Cold Air Induction gave me more mass air flow and so I needed to
tune for it, and a slight tweak of the throttle position sensor accounted for it (for the most part),
but hey it still runs a little tiny bit --'surge-ey' (?).....what do you guys suggest ? anything ?

DT

Old 10-07-2005, 10:48 PM

ORIGINAL: 305RS97

no comments? wow i thought alot of people would enjoy this information. Please leave feedback so i can know if the information was helpful or if you see anything i need to change!
hey this is a good info. it will help a lot. ( esp. for begginers)

Old 10-09-2005, 07:57 PM

Wher were you when i bought intake? Good info.

Old 02-13-2006, 02:48 PM

Thank you for posting this information. I'm looking at getting an eclipse so all information is appreciated

Old 02-13-2006, 06:35 PM

WOW after all that intake talk lately there was an old thread from the past with all the info was covered already.

The art of searching for you answers.. it works wonders

and thank you for bringing this back up to the top of the page it can help once again

Old 02-13-2006, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

[:@]Damn Archives that were all to lazy to search up. This would have saved much time and aggrevation. Good job in finding it ziggy.