Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

MAF Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 03:09 PM
Default MAF Replacement

I think my MAF is shot. I'm looking to replace it. Found this on EBay. Would it work to my advantage?
MAF Replacement on EBAY

thanks!

Old 11-29-2006, 01:09 AM
Default RE: MAF Replacement

If by replacement you mean that you've already got a GM MAF+ the translator, then yes that will be fine. If by replacement you mean to replace the stock 2g MAF with the GM MAF alone, then no, it's not a plug and play process, you will need the translator.
If you already knew that, then you should also know what to do next

Old 11-29-2006, 03:45 AM

i didn't know, thanks!
What is this translator you talk of? is it just my MAF i have now hollowed out or is it a piggy back system?

Old 11-29-2006, 04:51 AM

Well, with the GM MAF + translator, you are replacing the 1G/2G MAF altogether and yes it's a piggyback system. It's most useful when used with larger injectors, otherwise, it's basically used to allow a blow through setup...that means you can remove the recirculation tube and vent your bov to the atmosphere, in turn it's louder. That's not what it's intended for but it seems that most get it because of that
The GM MAF is more accurate than our stock MAF, well, I'll let MachV tell you more...
http://www.machv.com/maftranslator.html
Here's a quote from Tuner's, I will copy and paste it since there are filters in here.
ORIGINAL: GSX4LIFE

Everything you want to know about the MAF Translator.
Many of you have been asking alot of questions concerning the MAF-T which is why a FAQ has been added. The MAF-T is a piggi-back fuel controller which replaces your stock MAF sensor by changing a Hotwire signal to the stock Karmen signal which is used by DSMs. It allows the use of a GM MAF sensor. Either the 3" or 3.5" sensors can be used. These sensors can be sourced either new or used. The 3" sensor is used by dozens of GM vehicles including 96+ Blazers/Jimmys, S-10 pickups, Any vehicle with an LT-1 engine(Camaro/Firebird), and Impalla SS. The 3.5" sensors can be found on vehicles using the potent LS-1 engine, including Camaros, Firbirds, Corvettes. Aftermarket MAF sensors, such as those sold by Granettelli Motorsports are not compatable with the MAF-T.

The MAF-T's installation is very straightforward with only one wire to splice. There are 2 harnesses from the unit which simply plug into your stock MAF harness connector and the GM MAF itself. The GM MAF can be configured in 2 ways. Blow Through , the most popular, is when the MAF itself is in the upper IC pipe. This is beneficial for 2 reasons. First, it eliminates a restriction before the turbo; and second, you can VENT YOUR BOV , which everyone loves , by putting the sensor after the BOV and allowing backed up charge air to be vented before it is measured. *on a side note, NO, you cannot configure your stock MAF sensor to be used as a Blow through sensor. The operation of a Karmen Vortece MAF sensor cannot operate in this manner, and the sensor itself is not built to withstand any positive pressure.* Blow Through sensor placement has been discussed and still, no deffinative answere has been reached. As a rule of thumb, the sensor should be somewhere on the straight portion of your UICP, at least several inches before the bend into the throttle body. Mine is about 8" from the bend.

The second method of sensor installation is Draw Through, which is far less popular, but still affords less of a restriction for the turbo, over the stock MAF. In this installation the GM sensor is simply installed in the stock MAF location. You cannot vent your BOV this way, since the sensor will be before the BOV and the air has already been metered.

Tuning is usually a PITA. I dont recommend using the MAF-T on it's own. Used In conjunction with some other form of fuel controller will offord the best results. An SAFC or "Jeff O chip" work quite well. The use of a DSM Link has netted the fastest MAF-T cars. Setting the unit up is straightforward. There are 4 small dip switches and 4 turn dials. The dip switches are (1)-sensor type, (2)vehicle, (3)fuel cut defensor on/off, (4) AUX fuel control flat/contoured. The 4 turn dials are(from left to right) Base: This is a global setting to match injector size to the vehicle. Idle: For your idle corection. Mid: This is mostly for setting your cruise map. WOT: Wide Open Throttle setting. You may find that by setting some of the switches/dials contrary to your vehicle/sensor type, will offer the best tunability. For instance, I use a 3" sensor, yet I have the #1 dip switch set to 3.5" sensor. My car runs better this way. *In other words, dont trust the adjustmenst given to you. Get a logger, and or wideband.*

Ramchargers is the designer/builder of the MAF-T and the source to get them. *Be carefull when trying to purchase a MAF-T from Ebay, or non-DSM private sale. I have seen a few MAF-T's designed for the Buick Grand National passed off to unsuspecting DSMers. This unit has a different Harness connector with only 3 wires. The unit also has only 2 turn dials. IT WILL NOT WORK ON A DSM!!

Other things to consider in the cost is placement of the MAF sensor. When opting for Blow through configuration, reducer couplers and a new or modded UICP will be needed. For referance, I spent a total of $500 to install my MAF-T. This included the unit itself, a brand new 3" GM sensor, a custom UICP(which I had my buddy Wes Hess weld up for $90), all the couplers and clamps. Depending on what you do, your bill might be a more or less.

I hope everyone finds this thread informative and helpfull to those planning on a MAF-T. Feel free to contact me for any other questions regarding install/tuning.