Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

New Downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 04:33 AM
Default New Downpipe

I think this summer I am going to upgrade my downpipe.

Though I really don't feel like spending a Crap load of money on a name brand. There's a muffler shop down at the end of my street up in NorCal that did all my exhaust work on my old honda.

I think I"m going to have them make me a custom 3" downpipe and extend the pipe to kick out the Cat. So when smog time comes i'll just be able to disconnect the new pipe as one piece and re-install the stock downpipe and cat.

Will this work?
If so, about how much horsepower will this create. Will my car be screaming loud w/o a cat or will it rumble? Thanks!

Old 05-08-2006, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: New Downpipe

i am not sure on the exact hp #'s but it will be worth it to get one. If you do have one custom made then make sure they can do the mandrel bends for a 3", i know some shops cant

Old 05-08-2006, 02:05 PM

ya, these guys are great. they are a little mom and pop type shop but do great work and can madrel bend the pipes. I haven't researched it enough, but I believe I have the GReddy SP exhaust. I'm not sure if it's 3" though. I guess I could always go crawl under and look. If it isn't 3" will there be a problem with a 3" downpipe?

Old 05-08-2006, 05:01 PM

Well, dammit. turns out after measuring I don't have 3" exhaust piping. I've been lied to!

crap on a stick, oh well.

On the brightside, that means I get to put 3" piping on the car and feel the new power. that's exciting.
OK, back to the original question. Since I don't have 3" exhaust piping, will it be a problem if I get a 3" downpipe?

Old 05-08-2006, 06:25 PM

Well, it depends, with the higher flow pipe down to say like a 2 1/2" or whatever could create some backpressure and rob you of some power...

Old 05-08-2006, 07:46 PM

hmm very good point...

maybe i'll just save up a bit and get a full 3" exhaust

Old 05-08-2006, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

Yes you cant go from a larger piping to a smaller piping. Like he said it will screw up your performance. If your going to get a full turbo back then i would suggest Megan Racing. They are relatively cheap and have a good quality and sound.

Old 05-09-2006, 05:04 AM

hm. i can see your point. Though I really like the style of my muffler. Is it possible to keep the same muffler and just update all the piping back. or will it again cause performance problems?

Old 05-11-2006, 03:42 PM

Hey PooT...I bought a full Apexi N1 3 inch turbo-back system from a friend of mine for my '99 GS-T...I was like you in going and have one custom built before I picked up this one...I have a brand new 3 inch downpipe that I won't use now because I bought my friend's system...I'll sell it to ya if you're interested...I bought it for my '99 Eclipse GS-T 4G63 turbo..Let me know if you are interested.

Old 05-11-2006, 07:27 PM

that sounds great, but i'm kinda short with money at the moment. how much you lookin' to get for it?

Quick Reply: New Downpipe