Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

New Intake system?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 09:22 PM
Default New Intake system?

So, I just got a 2000 Eclipse GT. Is putting a cold air intake on it a good idea? Can I expect significant performance increases. I am excited to learn more about my car, as I currently know nothing (It's my first car). Do cold air intakes get messed up when it rains. Also, how does it work with the electrical system. Does something need to be modified with that or is anything compromised.

thanks in advance

Old 05-20-2007, 09:27 PM
Banned
Default RE: New Intake system?

Nothing needs to be modified.

No unfortunatly you wont feel any performance gains. Rain will not effect it.... but deep puddles will. It will suck up water like a vacume cleaner. Usually it has to be at least 2 feet high for that to happen.

There is only one real way you can make power from those cars... and thats turbo. Just do the smart thing and stay away from bodykits.. and spend that money for a turbo kit... (about 3.5K... the same as a bodykit/paint/mounting/maintanance. Trust me.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:47 PM

Are you serious? I thought even a short ram intake could add like 40 HP. How can I not expect any performance gains? There is no way I'm putting a Turbo on my car. Unfortunatly, I just don't care to put that much money in. Are you just kidding with me.. I see it says resident *******

Old 05-20-2007, 09:50 PM
Banned

No, im not ****ing with you. Im being strait.

You will gain 1-2hp at the wheels.

What is your reason for not wanting to turbo?

Old 05-20-2007, 09:56 PM

I mean, I'm 17 y.o. I got the car for 5K from a family friend it's in great shape but my priorities are in other places. I was just looking to do some fun things to my car. The car has a load of power compared to what I've been driving so driving it is really sick as is. Do cold air intakes significantly increase the performance of other cars or are they just a scam?

Old 05-20-2007, 10:01 PM
Banned

Some more than others yes. They are not a scam by any means. You WILL get a gain... just not that you will notice it

Old 05-20-2007, 10:05 PM

I have another question. When I floor the accelerator the car make a grinding/bad noise after a second when it switches into a higher. I probaly shouldn't be flooring the car anyway.Is this normal, easily fixable or even diagnosable over the web

Old 05-20-2007, 10:15 PM
Banned

It would be impossible to figure out whta it is over the net. More than likely its nothing bad...

You shouldnt be afraid to floor the car....it can take it

Old 05-21-2007, 08:07 AM

Intakes are not a scam, but if that's the only mod you've got on your car you won't feel much. Basically, the more you have done to the car, the better each modification will be able to do it's job (supporting mod is the trerm). But don't expect to see 40hp out of anything but a super/turbo charger.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:20 AM

Theres not an intake in the world capable of giving any car 40 more HP at the wheels, dude...

Quick Reply: New Intake system?