Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Trying to replace muffler

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 10:09 PM
Default Trying to replace muffler

I am looking for a new muffler to put on my 2002 eclipse gs. I found a nice cherry bomb glasspack, but when I looked under the car at the exhaust system, it looks like there is already a glasspack or something that looks like one between the cat and muffler. Can anyone tell me if that is really what it is? If I want to make my car louder, can I just remove the muffler and still have it street legal, or replace the muffler with the cherry bomb and have 2 glasspacks on a single pipe? I need help with info, but I am trying to do all the work on my car myself, i.e. welding, fitting, bending, etc. THANKS!

Old 05-09-2007, 02:43 AM
Default RE: Trying to replace muffler

Removing the muffler may or may not be a good idea, it dependes on where you live. For instance if you live in NV. you could be looking at some stiff fines. As far as two C-bombs I dought that would work and it doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Besides, I don't know if you still have a warnity or not but you may want to find out if doing the work yourself voids it. Otherwise perhapse if you describe the something between the cat and the muffler some one may be able to tell you a little more about what it is.
Good luck with your project.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

the thing between the muffler and cat is called a resinator. Its there to further reduce noise. The best way to get quality sound out of the car is to get a full catback exhuast. Or if you want to go the cheap route then go buy an apexi/magnaflow/greddy muffler and just cut the pipe at the muffler and weld the new one in.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:18 AM

Just get the catback.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:20 AM

Cherry bomb...isn't that the big ***, loud, annoying muffler?...or am I thinking way outside of the box?

Old 05-09-2007, 10:21 AM

Close, Cherry Bomb is ONE of the big *** loud annoying mufflers.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Dusty Eclipse

Close, Cherry Bomb is ONE of the big *** loud annoying mufflers.
they arnt always big. Its just the design of the muffler that makes it a "cherry bomb" All it means it that its straight hollowed out. Quite like the "fireball" mufflers you see on ebay. IMO these mufflers sound like ***. Dont get them

Old 05-09-2007, 11:46 AM

Im with TE on this one.. I HATE that sound.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:34 PM

So if I want to get more sound out of my exhaust without it being annoying, I could just take out the resonator? My funds are VERY limited, so cheap and effective is what I'm looking for. And I don't have any warranty left on the car, so I don't need to worry about voiding it.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

you probably wont even notice any change in sound by removing the resonator

Quick Reply: Trying to replace muffler