Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

White Steam from Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 02:25 PM
Question White Steam from Intake Manifold

I have a 2003 Eclipse Spyder GT 6 cyl 3.0L with VIC, I recently replaced the rear valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, and spark plug wires and while I was back there I replaced the upper intake manifold gasket. After I put everything back together I noticed I had a vacuum leak on the left side of the intake manifold where all the rubber vacuum hoses are so I replaced all of those. I still hear a hissing sound coming from this area but my RPM is no longer bouncing on idle so I think I fixed the leak and the sound I'm hearing is just the vacuum moving through the pipes and hoses? My real issue is that when my car heats up there is smelly white steam coming from behind the intake manifold. I'm not noticing a significant decrease in coolant so I'm not sure if its a coolant leak. The threading on the manifold where one of the long 8M 100mm bolts goes (left one) is worn out so that bolt is not getting torqued to 13 ft/lbs, i was able to hand tighten it down to get it somewhat tight before it starts spinning (probably more like 5 or 6 ft/lbs). Idk if that's the issue though because I took the manifold back off and checked around that hole to see if i had any coolant residue and it didn't look like I had any. Not sure where it could be coming from if I have a leak if that even is the problem. I was planning on fixing that bolt with a tap and die set I was just going to tap it with a size up probably 10M so I could get a new bolt in there and torque it down to 13 ft/lbs. What do you guys think? Any info would help a lot.