Interior What have you done to the inside of your ride? Customized it? Kept it super clean? Talk about it here.

Help With Neons

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 03:12 AM
Default Help With Neons

I got a Lancer ES 03 and I just bought a couple of 6 inch black lights to put under my dash! They came already connected to a cig lighter and a little switch to control the sensitivity, but I didnt want the whole ghetto look of having everything hanging out. So my question to you guys are, how can I run the wires so that I can turn the lights on with a switch. Also is it a good idea to run the wires through my cig lighter?

Old 05-26-2006, 08:58 PM
Default RE: Help With Neons

Most experienced car hobbyists don't use neons anymore but to each man his own....if it's what you want, cool! There is probably somebody around that can help you out.

Old 05-27-2006, 12:33 AM

well thnx 4 lettin me kno im not an experienced car hobbyist.....i jes want 2 kno how 2 install them....

Old 05-27-2006, 09:55 PM

I have neons under the dash of my galant and under the seats as well. Basically we just cut the cigarette lighter plugs off and tapped all the positive wires together and ran it to a switch and fused it, and ran all the grounds together and grouneded them all. there are pictures around here somewhere. I will try and find them for ya
https://mitsubishiforum.com/m_52769/tm.htm

Old 05-29-2006, 01:39 AM

1 part of the wire goes the a fuse that turns on with the car EX. GAUGES.... and another goes the a ground (use a light tester to find this.......and the third part of wire goes to the switch

then find a switch the is not very noticable and hide it underneath your dash somewhere or anywhere you want to place it out of site will look really clean.......

CIggarette lighter = a NO NO if you want it to look good and get compliments....gigerette lighter swich is bulky and very noticible ...def go with switch idea

to wire up 2-4 lights etc.... to the same swicth just twist them together and and apply the same way but when ur finishe tie all the wires together with twist ties and hide inside concol or steering column.(the part on the bottom the comes off..etc and the you should be good to go

1 problem with neons after awhile if you dont use for awhile 1 will not turn on for maybe 1-5 minutes i dont think LED's have this poblem...so maybe an upgrade to LED bars would be nice but Neons are hott aswell

Old 05-31-2006, 06:52 PM

alright thanks guys....i got them in and they're looking nice....i'll post some pics when i get the time

Old 06-14-2006, 08:00 PM

quick question man!! those black lights are pretty nice ive seen them before..
are they illegal to have in your car?
i know they make anything white stand out...will cops stop you or what?

Old 06-15-2006, 12:16 AM
Super Moderator

Depends your state. Some will some won't. Also for all my external electronics I'm going to be using a wire run directly fromt he battery itself and fused. I'll likely run it to a switchboard with seperate fused circuits and toggle switches. But then again I like keeping things seperate (Easier to troubleshoot later and doesn't affect any other systems if the lights dork up).

Old 06-15-2006, 12:49 AM

i live in florida(miami) you think those are illegal here??

Old 06-15-2006, 09:16 PM

i actually got the idea 4rm a friend who currently goes 2 school in miami....he has black lights in his lancer and from what i kno he has yet to get pulled over

Quick Reply: Help With Neons