Interior Wiring Discuss everything in the car here, from boost controllers to custom wiring.

03 Lancer ES - Roasting Coils

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 12:30 AM
Default 03 Lancer ES - Roasting Coils

Alright, so I have no spark.
Test conducted by taking the wire off the plug and connecting extra plug into wire outside of the engine, grounding and cranking. Looked for spark but got nothing.

I checked the fuse box and the fuses and everything seems to be in order except that only all the fuses work on one half of the fuse box and then I have a whole 2 rows that don't come on at all. This is on the hood fuse box. The box under the left driver side is complete and in order as well. All fuses come one with no wiggling, different from the hood fuse box.

Followed the harness all the way back and made sure everything was grounded.

Spec. checked my coils according to the Lancer Manual and Ohms for the secondary coil are in spec for one pack and out of spec on the other pack. The second test on the primary coil for continuity gives me some funky numbers (-89.0 to Infinity Less ~ fluxuating) and cant tell if continuity is working or not. Flipped the 1.5v battery for this part of the test to get a positive reading but got a solid and non-moving 1 before and after contact.

The one coil that is out of spec seems to be heating up non-stop and gets hot really fast. -> replaced with a junkyard coil that seemed to be good but left unchecked till I plugged it into my battery back at the car. Immediately started getting hot as well and gave same Ohm reading as the one I had tossed.

I'm thinking its a short in the ECM/PCU as this is where the Relays are shot from to the ignition coil to alternate the spark on the coil packs on this 4cyl. I would like to know if anyone has come across this before or not.