Interior Wiring Discuss everything in the car here, from boost controllers to custom wiring.

Boost controller...diffrence or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 06:30 PM
Default Boost controller...diffrence or not?

i just purchased on an evo 8 with 10000, miles on it...its a dream, but everyone tell me i should "up the boost" to get more out of it....
if i were to do that, would it give me a substancial amount of horsepower more, is it safe, and whats the best brand choice?

oh, and where the hell can i get one....

thanks dsm fans!

GUs<---

Old 10-16-2006, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Boost controller...diffrence or not?

Sure you can do it but you gotta know what your doing and if you plan on doing it then you need to get a boost guage to be able to monitor it. Also the other problem you will face is that they have a ****ty BOV so youll be leaking that boost when you put it up anyways. But as far as what type to get. Any plain old manual boost controller will do the trick and you will feel a difference in the car also. Try any place to get one. Even ebay would be fine. Hallman, and joep make good inexpensive ones.

Old 10-16-2006, 08:14 PM

to up your boost you need the followin mods to be safe.

Boost controller (manual or electric)
Boost gauge (not factory on if you got one)
Exhaust
BOV (unless it has the JDM MR DV)
Wideband
SAFCII with a tune or a mail in flash
and from there you could run about 20PSI till redline get better gas milage and gain about 50-70WHP depending on the tune and gas used

stock your car dynos around 248WHP I belive thats what the VIIIs do after youll be around 300WHP the above mods are exactly what I have and it is a HUGE difference

your stock boost only runs to 19 and falls at about 4k to 16 the stock BOV can only hold 16 other wise if you raise it you will leak it all out by the time you get to redline and be at about 15-16PSI

An other route you can take is buy the exhaust and boost gauge and BOV then get a custom reflash and in the flash they can set the boost for you to 20sih without the need of a boost controller

Oh and prior to these mods you get around 200 Miles to a tank of gas after youll see around 270ish and close to 300 on the highway

Old 10-17-2006, 10:54 AM

thanks for the answers guys!..but I bought the car with a hks intake, it has a defi boost gauge already installed and displayed, and after market BOV, not sure the brand of that......when I bought the car, it had a hks high flow exhaust, but I asked to take it off and put the stock one, cuz it sounded like a fart cannon....with these tools. what more would I need to install a boost controller? AND WORK PROPERLY...
and where can I get the flash..and around how much do you think it would cost

thanksamillion!
GUs<---