Interior Wiring Discuss everything in the car here, from boost controllers to custom wiring.

Ignition Fuse keeps blowing/99 Eclipse

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 11:25 PM
Unhappy Ignition Fuse keeps blowing/99 Eclipse

I have a 99 mitsubishi eclipse, 2.0L..car runs fine. BUT,now my ignition fuse keeps blowing. the 30a ignition fuse blew as i was parking two weeks ago.. had towed home. poked around, only noticed one odd wire...one that had been soldered (prior to my ownership in 2007) that was going to the connector on the ignition coil. thought it could be that so i cleaned up, separated and electrical taped temporarily. car was working fine for almost two weeks. last night car died out while driving through an intersection. repeated same thing with wire, put a new fuse, got a few blocks and it blew/died. repeated today to get it home. was able to get a few blocks home. I purchased a new wire harness connector, butt connected/spliced the new wires, and put into a new heat resistant tube. put in a new fuse, car was running a few minutes and died as I started to drive. blown fuse again. only thing i can think of is that same set of wires further down where the heat shrink tube melted from the side of the valve cover gasket, which had been cleaned up, checked, separated and put into a new heat shield tube. other than that, nothing electrical had been added/modded.. this all happened the day after i got my valve cover gasket replaced..dont know if thats related??maybe something got messed up when cover was taken off? anyways, the car is blowing a fuse as soon as i turn the key-engine starts then cuts off, or will run or drive a few min then die/blow fuse. one weird thing to note is that the first few times the ign fuse blew, my panel lights (check engine light/oil/etc) would not go on if i turned my key and there was no sound whatsoever....tonight, after the last fuse blew, when I turned the key, panel lights came on and i heard a faint sound as the key turned, but obviously did not start or anything... please help!!!! im down to one good fuse and every auto store in a 10 mile radius is out of the 30a's

Old 05-01-2016, 11:59 PM
Default Ignition fuse burning out

Originally Posted by litildevil75
I have a 99 mitsubishi eclipse, 2.0L..car runs fine. BUT,now my ignition fuse keeps blowing. the 30a ignition fuse blew as i was parking two weeks ago.. had towed home. poked around, only noticed one odd wire...one that had been soldered (prior to my ownership in 2007) that was going to the connector on the ignition coil. thought it could be that so i cleaned up, separated and electrical taped temporarily. car was working fine for almost two weeks. last night car died out while driving through an intersection. repeated same thing with wire, put a new fuse, got a few blocks and it blew/died. repeated today to get it home. was able to get a few blocks home. I purchased a new wire harness connector, butt connected/spliced the new wires, and put into a new heat resistant tube. put in a new fuse, car was running a few minutes and died as I started to drive. blown fuse again. only thing i can think of is that same set of wires further down where the heat shrink tube melted from the side of the valve cover gasket, which had been cleaned up, checked, separated and put into a new heat shield tube. other than that, nothing electrical had been added/modded.. this all happened the day after i got my valve cover gasket replaced..dont know if thats related??maybe something got messed up when cover was taken off? anyways, the car is blowing a fuse as soon as i turn the key-engine starts then cuts off, or will run or drive a few min then die/blow fuse. one weird thing to note is that the first few times the ign fuse blew, my panel lights (check engine light/oil/etc) would not go on if i turned my key and there was no sound whatsoever....tonight, after the last fuse blew, when I turned the key, panel lights came on and i heard a faint sound as the key turned, but obviously did not start or anything... please help!!!! im down to one good fuse and every auto store in a 10 mile radius is out of the 30a's
Am having same issue with 1993 3000GT SL but also burnt up radio and just today found that wire is burnt along passenger side of console,have you had any success finding your problem?

Old 05-02-2016, 07:25 AM

you have a short somewhere. get out your multimeter and start looking.f