Internal Lounge Chat about beefing up your insides here.

1991 Talon Tsi 300 dollars and it runs

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 01:54 AM
Default 1991 Talon Tsi 300 dollars and it runs

Hey guys, i am hopefully picking up a 1g tsi here this weekend for pretty cheap so i was wondering if you guys have any tips of what exactly to look out for for engine performance from stock or anything i just need to be aware of. it is only a whopping 300 cash so i am gonna get it regardless but i dont wanna drive a car that is gonna blow up while im driving it so i just wanna know what to lok out for. The guy i am getting it from said he had it running and the turbo seized up and the manifold cracked. He bought an evo manifold and a 16g turbo that is going with the car, do you think i need to look into something in the engine to make the turbo seize or could it just be from being old and worn out? I really dont know too much about dsm's but i am looking into learning. Anything you guys can help me out with or any tips or information i need to no about the 6-bolt 4g63 than please feel free to share. I really appreciate it and cant wait to get the car back home and the turbo on it and it started up. I will take some pics and put them up here as soon as i get it if the guy follows through. Thank youin advance guys. and obviously if it is a 6-bolt then its one of two years and it is a 91 so if that makes a difference in the 6-bolt then let me know. Like i said i am purchasing regardless because of how cheap it is but i want to know things for a future build i am planning

Old 05-05-2008, 03:37 AM
Default RE: 1991 Talon Tsi 300 dollars and it runs

Well, go check it out in person. Make sure the motor runs fine. You can drive it around and it should feel pretty torqueless. You should have someone look at the turbo if you aren't sure what to look for...wait, here's an easy one for anyone to spot..check the blades and if they are chewed up then there was a lot of play with the rod and both sides should be chewed up. Spin either wheel and if it won't spin freely, then yes, the turbo is definitely dead and the center cartridge is fried.

A 91 is a 6 bolt, so don't worry about that. Just crank her up and be sure that the motor sounds like any other 4 cylinder. Don't forget to rev her up a bit, don't sit on it, just blip it. Have a buddy stand outside and listen to the motor from that end too. Aside from those things, do the normal motor check. Don't forget to check the clutch too. Like I stated, drive it around the block, but don't get on it. You'll want to warm up the motor to check for leaks. Take a flashlight with you.

Hell, for $300, I would just take her home, pull the motor, get it rebuilt and shove it back in. lol

Old 05-06-2008, 10:31 AM

thanks bro i appreciate the help and honestly like i told my boss today hell for 300 dollars its literally a ****ing stel regardless of running condition you know. and the guy who is selling it to me also said he has and evoiii manifold and 16g turbo to go with it all for 300 dollars so i am basically paying for the turbo lol. anywyas once i get it i will get pics up on the website and see what you guys think. But you really think it is ok for me to drive it and start it up as long as i dont get on it? because i was thinking about trying to swap the manifold and turbo and just drive it back to yakima. anyways let me know if it is ok to start up for sure because i dont wanna blow the engine or anythin too bad.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:55 PM

It'll be fine, just don't expect anything out of her, lol. Because of the low compression, it will feel very sluggish and just plain slow. As long as your motor is still getting air from the intake, the computer will adjust accordingly. Your fuel and air will most likely be over stoich, so don't fret if you see black smoke puffs from the tailpipe. As long as everything in the motor is working right, the worse case would be that it'll run rich the entire time she's on the road. Curious, how long of a drive is it?
You're right though, the EVOIII manifold and turbo are well over the price of the car itself.
I wouldn't suggest swapping out the manifold and turbo just yet. You will want and most likely need spare nuts and bolts, oil, coolant or water, to replace what you lose.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:14 AM

Well here is the news, if everything works out than he is going to drop it off and take another vehicle off of my hands. Its quite a drive but hes taking the other vehicle for scrap and is gonna get gas money to cover dropping it off and he only wants 250 for it. As it turns out though the other manifold and turbo dont come with the car he said he paid 1000 for them both and would take like 700 for them. they are both still in the boxes and everything so. anyways if everything goes good then i should have the pics posted up on here tomorrow night so. he said the the clutch isnt fully disengaging half the time so i think it needs a new clutch unless you guys have heard of this happening in the 1g's due to something other than the clutch. i was thinking shift linkage or something like bushings causing the shifter to get stuck. i dont know i will drive it and explian it better tomorrow and then you can help me out with it if you ahve any ideas.