Internal Lounge Chat about beefing up your insides here.

ESi vs. RS

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 05:44 PM
Default ESi vs. RS

Well, I've been searching for either a Talon or Eclipse and I finally found a nice ESi in my area. Since both engines are the same, I would assume that the parts I looked up for the Eclipse RS I almost bought would fit on my ESi, but I wanted to make sure. Even if they didn't bolt on perfectly, I'm sure it would only take minor modifications. Here is what I was planning on slapping on the engine:

-K&N Air Filter
-Injen RD Cold-Air Intake
-GReddy Evo 2 Cat Back Exhaust
-GReddy 4-1 Headers
-Venom Intake Manifold

This **** fits the RS, but I can't find it for the ESi, will it still fit? I'd like to know before I make the purchase, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-11-2006, 10:35 AM
Default RE: ESi vs. RS

yea the parts will fit there the same engine.

Old 05-16-2006, 08:26 PM

ORIGINAL: player69x

yea the parts will fit there the same engine.
Yep same engine, pretty much same car.

Old 07-31-2006, 07:58 PM

yea there are only apearance differences. I own a talon tsi AWD and my dad has a GSX and there are the same

Old 08-01-2006, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

when you get the exhaust make sure you dont get piping bigger than stock

Old 08-15-2006, 12:18 AM

ORIGINAL: TheEngineer

when you get the exhaust make sure you dont get piping bigger than stock

Why on EARTH would you recommend that? The stock piping on a 2gen Talon NA with the 420A chrysler motor is 2". Thats AWFUL diameter. WAAAAAAAYYYYYY too small. Get yourself at LEAST 2.25", maybe even 2.5" cat back and a good long header and a CAI (AEM has shown the best results) and yuo will see that powerplant come to life.

Old 08-15-2006, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

ok can someone else back me up on this one. On a NA motor you dont want to be putting bigger piping because the motor will not put out enough flow to be efficient for it. Also you will actually reduce the performance because you will reduce your backpressure in the piping. I cant find the article but there was a good write-up about this. I guess you could get away with 2.5" but i wouldnt go any bigger than that

Old 08-15-2006, 01:06 PM

yes engineer, you are right. You dont want to decrease the backpressure on a N/A car

Old 08-15-2006, 03:49 PM

No your WRONG. Both of you. You dont want to ELIMINATE your backpressure in an NA car, but bigger piping for better flow is a good thing...ESPECIALLY when the car has such undersized piping in stock trim as the 2gen NA Eclipse does. 2.5" is a MAXIMUM and when I DID IT on my ex's 99 RS Eclipse we had a GREAT results and was STRONG in the high end of the RPM range. The AEM CAI was KEY though towards helping develop power in that car. a exhaust with bigger piping doesnt ELIMINATE backpressure, just helps free up a little. Now putting a 3" exhaust on an NA 420a motor would probably be a bad thing. And sound like crap too. But a 2.25" or 2.5" is more than OK for decent power gains and well worth the money.

Old 08-15-2006, 04:20 PM

If you replace your exhaust with a bigger diameter you will gain some top-end power but sacrifice quite a bit of low-end torque. For naturally aspirated engines such as yours I agree with Engineer on this one. If possible, you might find an exhaust with the same diameter that is smoother with less bends...that would be good.

Quick Reply: ESi vs. RS