Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 09:24 PM
Default 1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT Restoration

Hello, I have a 1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT (SL?), and have started doing a minor restoration on it.

I recently pulled out all the carpet/seats/door panels/etc and gave the inside a good cleaning. Needless to say, the area under the carpet was pretty bad. I found countless french fries, candies, and even a ton of dead roaches (I was told there was a problem before buying the car, but it was taken care of before I bought it).

Anyways, the door and rear panels are in bad shape, so I'll most likely replace them within the next few weeks. Same goes for the carpet. From the looks of it, it's had countless things spilled on it. I spent almost two hours today scrubbing it and using a steamer, which seemed to change nothing.

The center console was just disgusting, and the front area of it was broken off, so that will be another thing to replace in the future.

The dash area isn't too bad, besides one of the vents near the windshield being cracked, which is very minor.

The rear seats aren't too bad, with minor dirt marks on them. The driver and passenger seats though are in really bad shape. I spent a good amount of time today also trying to clean them with a steamer, and just didn't work out for me.

Few other minor things, interior wise, that I'd need also.

One thing that I'd really like to know, is what years are interchangeable between each other?

I've heard that I can use almost any parts (interior wise) from 1992-1998 besides a few things, so any input on this would be awesome to know.

Aside from that, the exterior is in pretty good shape besides a few chips here and there, and then a pretty decent sized one on the right fender, where a part of the roof came down during a hurricane a few years ago, and the lady never got it fixed. It has some surface rust, but nothing serious.

I've already put about $2,500 into the engine area in the last two weeks. Had to get a new transmission, carburetor, and a major oil leak. I also need to have a new air compressor installed, since it's not working when the car idles, and good God do you need A/C in Florida. At least now the car is almost running like new, haha.

Another question I have (although I could ask this from my mechanic buddy), I'd rather ask it here since I've never really had this happen on another car. Whenever I start the car up, I normally get a clicking noise for a few seconds/minutes. It'll go away faster once the car is in drive, but I'd rather not hear it at all. At first I thought it was low on oil, but I made sure to check it, and even had an oil change just after all the work I got done was finished. Does anyone know what this clicking could be? If not, I'll just go after my guy when I have time.

Alright, that's enough typing from me today. Maybe I'll post some pictures up within the next few days if I get my camera working. Thanks for taking your time to read this!

Old 05-27-2010, 05:13 PM

if you put a new carburetor in your car, then there are some serious issues here. Either A) it's not really a 3000GT, or B) someone scammed you.... these cars are fuel injected. lol

interior is different throughout the years. The colors are all different. You will need 97+ interior panels.

If you need any parts, shoot me a message, or email me. ECoppola@gmail.com

I run the largest 3000GT and Stealth Parts Warehouse in the country.

www.3swarehouse.com I'm in the beginning stages of getting the website together. I have not even scratched the surface of our 3000GT inventory. I have probably everything you need, in stock.

Good luck
Em

Old 05-27-2010, 05:15 PM

is your car automatic or manual transmission? the ticking could either be lifter tick (normal... if you want it fixed... that will usually cost you over $1000... not worth it, just run a thicker weight oil), or it's a throw out bearing noise, if your car has a manual transmission.

These cars take to a thicker weight oil best. Try running that before you go diving into unnecessary repairs.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:39 AM

I meant to put alternator, but I was really tired after a long day of work.

I'll be sure to take a look at your website. I'll need a lot of stuff when the time comes.

The car is automatic. I've already looked into it, and found out it was a lifter making the noise. Team3s had some easy fixes for it, so I'll give them a go soon.

Thanks again!