Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

3000gt or mitsubishi eclipse?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006 | 08:20 AM
Default RE: 3000gt or mitsubishi eclipse?

IMHO at 16-18 you are still too young to have any of the turbo Mitsu's. Too much car for several reasons. #1...its too fast. Dont get on here and tell me all the experience you have and how you can handle it. You really cant. Until you have REAL LIFE experience with other people on the road reacting to you and your fast car, you have NO IDEA what is gonna happen and the Turbo Eclipse, Evo, 3000GT is just too much car. #2...Insurance premiums on those turbo ones are too high. I dont know TOO MANY 16 year olds that pay for their own insurance. #3...Maintenance. All those cars require someone who LOVES the car and can AFFORD to maintain it. They arent cheap to keep in perfect condition, and if you buy one of these, you NEED to keep it perfect.

If you ask me...get a 1997 BASE SOHC 3000GT. Looks great, not so slow you would hate it, good/decent gas mileage, and not gonna kill you or anyone else by owning it. The amount of money saved in ALL the variables of owning ANY of those turbo Mitsu's will pay for the whole car by the time you are 21. (21 is a good age to get a VR4). What I mean by money saved, I mean insurance, gas, tickets, repairs, etc etc etc. Things that cost MORE than it would in the SOHC.

I know all you youngsters in here are gonna try and tell me how I am wrong and there is NOTHING you can do to change my opinion on this one. Sorry.

Best of luck to you,
Michael

Old 09-09-2006 | 10:17 AM

.no turbo...lol now this is making me wanna get a 98 eclipse gsx model.but how does your bros v-4 handle?and hows the launch on it.if you tried it and are the 3rd gen engines hard to upgrade and what not?
my bro has a 3g not a vr-4 but he likes it. its nice, runs good, and is good on gas,

Old 09-09-2006 | 10:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Michaels_RT

IMHO at 16-18 you are still too young to have any of the turbo Mitsu's. Too much car for several reasons. #1...its too fast. Dont get on here and tell me all the experience you have and how you can handle it. You really cant. Until you have REAL LIFE experience with other people on the road reacting to you and your fast car, you have NO IDEA what is gonna happen and the Turbo Eclipse, Evo, 3000GT is just too much car. #2...Insurance premiums on those turbo ones are too high. I dont know TOO MANY 16 year olds that pay for their own insurance. #3...Maintenance. All those cars require someone who LOVES the car and can AFFORD to maintain it. They arent cheap to keep in perfect condition, and if you buy one of these, you NEED to keep it perfect.

If you ask me...get a 1997 BASE SOHC 3000GT. Looks great, not so slow you would hate it, good/decent gas mileage, and not gonna kill you or anyone else by owning it. The amount of money saved in ALL the variables of owning ANY of those turbo Mitsu's will pay for the whole car by the time you are 21. (21 is a good age to get a VR4). What I mean by money saved, I mean insurance, gas, tickets, repairs, etc etc etc. Things that cost MORE than it would in the SOHC.

I know all you youngsters in here are gonna try and tell me how I am wrong and there is NOTHING you can do to change my opinion on this one. Sorry.

Best of luck to you,
Michael
Mr R/T I got your back 100% agreed. or atleast about the VR4 the DSM turbo eclipses are not fast untill modded but factory they are slow

Old 09-09-2006 | 01:25 PM

ORIGINAL: davidmitsusrock

.no turbo...lol now this is making me wanna get a 98 eclipse gsx model.but how does your bros v-4 handle?and hows the launch on it.if you tried it and are the 3rd gen engines hard to upgrade and what not?
my bro has a 3g not a vr-4 but he likes it. its nice, runs good, and is good on gas,
i think thats what he meant, he said v-4, its inline 4 tho commandercool. and i got one and its not fast, but it is a good car to start off with, 100k miles on it and its still in good shape. you cant really go wrong with that.

Old 09-09-2006 | 04:53 PM

R/T.i would like to buy a 2003 eclipse...or that 1997 base sohc model.but do you like have any estimate on how much insurance would run me?i live in new york so its gonna be pretty high.i would get a quote but im not 18 yet

Old 09-09-2006 | 06:12 PM

I have had two turbo talons. One was AWD and the other was not. I got the first one when I was 16 and the second when I was almost 18. I can tell you from my experience that they are for the most part ok for a new driver. They aren't too fast but they required a lot of care. The second car i had was the worse. The engine blew up at 75k, I replaced the turbo 3 times and the tranny was rebuilt 3 times. They are not the most reliable car. They will cost you money to keep running. In 2001 we bought a '97 VR4. Its not even close to stock anymore but I got it stock and even stock its still too much to handle for a youngster. They take experience to handle safely. And as far as your insurance question goes.... We get special rates on ours and I am not a new driver so yours would be completely different then mine. However, I know a guy how had one when he was 19 or 20. He said his full coverage policy was around $325 a month. He probably had a few speeding tickets tho

Stay safe.

Old 09-09-2006 | 06:21 PM

Oh, and when I was 17 my full coverage for my TSI TALON (same as GSX) was about 140 dollars a month...on my parents policy. It will be more if you are on your own[:@]

Old 09-10-2006 | 01:17 AM

lol my parents dont have a car....most likely i'll have to register it in my name

Old 09-11-2006 | 03:31 PM

haha I'd go witht he GSX then. They are way easier to find and they are A LOT cheaper in every way.

Old 09-12-2006 | 02:02 AM

what year like 97-98?

Quick Reply: 3000gt or mitsubishi eclipse?