Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

3000gt vr4 smoke problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by JeffWVR4
The smoke could also be because of a bad "seal" on the exhaust side of the turbo. Oil can get into the exhaust housing and into the downpipe, and once it starts to heat up, you'll see smoke. It may appear white but is actually a light blue color.

Not sure what the ECU has to do with the smoking. and although a bad ECU can cause all kinds of werid problems, it usually results in a steady misfire or stuttering.

And I don't understand how the ECS has anything to do with smoking and jerking.
for whatever reason, sometimes when the ECS goes bad, it interferes with the fuel system, and causes all sorts of weird problems.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Girly VR4
for whatever reason, sometimes when the ECS goes bad, it interferes with the fuel system, and causes all sorts of weird problems.
I did some research yesterday and others told me the same thing. Although none of them had never really seen a case of that happening,, they all agreed it's possible. Thanks for the confirmation. I too own a shop (in Michigan) that specializes in Stealth and GT. Please tell Hans hi for me ;-)

Old 07-30-2009, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by JeffWVR4
I did some research yesterday and others told me the same thing. Although none of them had never really seen a case of that happening,, they all agreed it's possible. Thanks for the confirmation. I too own a shop (in Michigan) that specializes in Stealth and GT. Please tell Hans hi for me ;-)
Yea, we've had a small handfull of cars come in here running all funky-like, and it ended up being the ecs computer making things go haywire. Not real common, but I've seen a number of them in the last few years.

I'll tell him you said hi

Old 07-31-2009, 08:20 AM
Unhappy To the shop owners

To Jeff and Girly vr4,

Do you guys sell vr4 parts?, cheaper than 3sx, although 3sx does sell good parts, they are extremely overpriced, I understand why though, because parts of a 3000gt vr4 are difficult to find and Mitsubishi parts are expensive in general.

If you guys are selling parts, I need a new EGR Solenoid and a new EGR pipe(or the pipe that is flexible and connects to the intake manafold from the rear), How much would you charge for a diagnosis? I would love for you guys to fix it, but I'm financially unable to do that right now =(, although I spent 8 grand on just parts to try to fix it (yeah, I know stupid decision). If the ECU turns out to be bad , do you guys have any to sell(I understand ecu's are very precious for your diagnosis as well and most shops are reluctant to sell it)?

I'm also going to thank you guys on your time, I appreciate your opinion and time and effort that you put in to helping me, immensly. I'm looking foward to doing business with you guys and gal, in the future. If you guys need help on, computer repair, set ups or diet nutritional or workout tips, I run a business called S.T.A.T, I would be willing to lend you my opinions and thoughts. Just e-mail me at jeffrey@techsandtactics.com

Yours truly,
Jeffrey- Poor VR4

P.S You might be asking why I'm so broke, and run a business, It's because most of my money is funneled into marketing and advertising(extremely expensive). If you guys are up for it, I can also try to help advertise your businesses as well, I"m well aquainted with many 3000gt owners and car enthusiasts, if you guys are willing to ship parts and etc, and do you guys and gal have a website?

Last edited by PoorVR4; 07-31-2009 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by PoorVR4
To Jeff and Girly vr4,

Do you guys sell vr4 parts?, cheaper than 3sx, although 3sx does sell good parts, they are extremely overpriced, I understand why though, because parts of a 3000gt vr4 are difficult to find and Mitsubishi parts are expensive in general.

If you guys are selling parts, I need a new EGR Solenoid and a new EGR pipe(or the pipe that is flexible and connects to the intake manafold from the rear), How much would you charge for a diagnosis? I would love for you guys to fix it, but I'm financially unable to do that right now =(, although I spent 8 grand on just parts to try to fix it (yeah, I know stupid decision). If the ECU turns out to be bad , do you guys have any to sell?

I'm also going to thank you guys on your time, I appreciate your opinion and time and effort that you put in to helping me, immensly. I'm looking foward to do business with you guys in the future. If you guys need help on, computer repair, set ups or diet nutritional or workout tips, I run a business called S.T.A.T, I would lend you my opinions and thoughts. Just e-maile me at jeffrey@techsandtactics.com

Yours truly,
Jeffrey- Poor VR4

P.S You might be asking why I'm so broke, and run a business, It's because most of my money is funneled into marketing and advertising(extremely expensive).
What year is your car? We probably have some used parts laying around in our stock-pile.

What kind of diagnosis are you looking for? Where are you located?

Old 07-31-2009, 08:34 AM
Default To girly vr4

Information on my car.

Year- 1992
Make- Mitsubishi
Model- 3000gt vr4

Type of diagnosis- Basically what we were discussing, the host of problems my car has, white smoke, gas leakage, why it jerks back and fourth throttling above 3000 rpm in every gear.

I"m located at- Hyattsville, MD, 20782( about 192 miles away from you)

P.S if you guys are intrested in expanding your business here, There is a shop owner that I know that is selling his business located in VA, He is asking for $100,000. The reason why he is selling, is due to his age, he wants to retire lol.

ON another note. My friend is looking for a Nissan 300zx twin turbo, his budget is 5500 dollars, and it needs to be under 150,000 miles driven on it, if you know anyone who is selling, or if yourself is selling one e-mail me!

Last edited by PoorVR4; 07-31-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:46 AM

Information on my car.

Year- 1992
Make- Mitsubishi
Model- 3000gt vr4

Type of diagnosis- Basically what we were discussing, the host of problems my car has, white smoke, gas leakage, why it jerks back and fourth throttling above 3000 rpm in every gear.

I"m located at- Hyattsville, MD, 20782( about 192 miles away from you)

P.S if you guys are intrested in expanding your business here, There is a shop owner that I know that is selling his business located in VA, He is asking for $100,000. The reason why he is selling, is due to his age, he wants to retire lol.

ON another note. My friend is looking for a Nissan 300zx twin turbo, his budget is 5500 dollars, and it needs to be under 150,000 miles driven on it, if you know anyone who is selling, or if yourself is selling one e-mail me!
VA is a little far for us to consider buying a business. We're in the midst of expanding our own business here in PA, but thanks for the information

You're welcome to have the car brought here to our shop, and we can fix it up for you. Just give me a call, or PM, and let me know if/when you want to bring it up, and we'll go from there

Old 07-31-2009, 03:20 PM
Default Parts

I seem to be unable to find some parts, Girly vr4, Can you check if you have any Solenoids, such as the boost controller solenoid and the EGR solenoid, and the EGR pipe, if you cant sell the solenoids individually, I'll buy the whole entire set including the firewall mount. I would do the EGR block off, but I need to get my car emission tested, and would like to pass lol and Im also aware of a workaround, but I really dont want to do that lol.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:01 PM

I'll take a look around tomorrow.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:50 AM
Default the motor is not in time

lol dude Nick, I didnt know you posted about my car on this forum. This is Jeff BTW and to all the viewers this is my car and yes we have been working on this car for one year, one problem became another.

Let me try to rearticulate and break it down for you guys on what problems there are with this car.

Here is a list of replaced parts.

-Spark plug/wires

-Both heads are new and shaved via a machine shop and are in perfect condition. The valves and valve stem seals are all brand new and was replaced.

-The head gasket has been replaced, it's a brand new multi-layered metal head gasket.

-Fuel injectors and fuel rails are replaced-due to a diagnosis via machanic that states that 1 fuel injector was leaking (so, I replaced the whol entire unit excluding the fuel injection harness)

-Fuel filter has been replaced.

-MAF has been replaced with a brand new one and a used one both didnt do much, the same problem presisted (when the MAF sensor was unplugged, it ran just as horribly)

-Water pump has been replaced TWICE.

-The Timing belts has been replaced 3 times.

-Cam Gears has been replaced with new aluminum Fidanza models.

-New push rod and Tensioner pulley

- We pulled both turbos out and had it checked out, it's in perfect condition.

I'll explain the problem in full detail , when it initialy happend and the problems it currently has.

About 1 year ago, give or take , It was fine and running perfectly. I turned the car off and went inside my home and came back and started the car, the idle was fine, everything checked out, no engine lights or anything. I pulled out the garage and drove up the hill. Everytime, I throttled the car above 3000 RPMS the car would buck(jerk back and fourth violently), It doesnt matter how hard you throttle, at 3000 rpms it would have the same issue; at this time the car did not blow any smoke out of its exaust, that randomly happend later.

I went to a shop called CAPITOL TRANSMISSIONS(located in hyattsvile, MD) I got it coded and they told me the MASS AIR FLOW METER needs to be replaced and fuel pump and I needed a 60k mile tune up. They wanted to charge me well over 3000 dollars+ for those two, parts and labor. I had our mechanic here whom initially posted the problem up above replace all of those parts, except for the fuel pump( because we all know if the fuel pump doesnt work, the car wont start lol). The problem persisted after we changed the parts that were coded. So, we decided to do a 120k mile tune up, after we finished the problem still persisted. So, the the shop was dead wrong.(they even stole my air filter lol)

The symptoms this car is giving off now is.

-Exaust smoke is white, and smells like gas, gas also drips out of the exaust pipe.

-The check engine light is on, the ECS computer has been unplugged about 1 year ago, I too thought it was the problem.

- The EGR pipe has a major air leak and the oil is dripping out a pipe near the rear turbo area(but he have found the problem and will fix it, but that was not the cause of the initial problem.

-We have changed nearly everything, I heard this the 92 3000gt vr4 has had major ECU problmens and the caps tend to leak(could that cause an engine light and bucking at 3000 RPMS and above, and white smoke due to fuel injectors staying open even on idle?)

-Could the fuel injection harness be a problem?

-Right now, we are thinking it's the ecu but I'm not sure, can the ECU cause such problems? The transmission is fine, it was also checked out.

I'm located in Hyattsville, Maryland.

Any solutions or thoughts of what can be causing these mysterious problems will be very much appreciated!! as you can see this car has a host of problems lol

yours truly,
Jeff -Poorvr4
sounds like cam timing off good luck

Quick Reply: 3000gt vr4 smoke problem