Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

which 3000gt year to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 11:26 PM
Default RE: which 3000gt year to buy?

I HAVE A 94 SL WHIT MODS $4500 GIVE ME YOUR EMAIL AND ILL SEND YOU SOME PIX IF YOUR INTERESTED

Old 12-03-2005, 12:08 AM

well I own a 91 GT SL, nothing is wrong with it, runs like it should, not all GT's 95 and older have problems, its just how it was taken care of, you know?

Old 12-03-2005, 02:02 AM

My buddy got a 91 stealth R\T TT with a 95 motor\tranny swap. the 1st gen motors have very weak bearings common problem spun bearings when beatin on and the 2nd gens were not bad. they were faster too. the 2nd gen runs around a 13.3 and the 1st runs around 14.1.

As far as tranny problems the 6spd (getrag) will not have any trouble as I see it. they are the same tranny from the TT supras and they take 1200 HP just fine not sure how different it is with AWD

Old 12-04-2005, 02:18 PM

3KGT's (esp VR4's) need alot of TLC from their owners especially if they're being hammered on a daily basis. With that being said, it's getting harder and harder to find an older 3KGT that would be in decent shape both physically and mechanically- especially the VR4. I'd stick with a newer model (preferably 95 and newer) with low mileage, lots of maintenance, and preferably one owner. They should be readily available if you keep your eyes open. When considering an older model- really give it a thorough inspection b4 going ahead with the purchase- keeping in mind that you may have PCM issues that need to be addressed sooner or later.
I just picked up a 1992 Pearl White VR4 for a VERY good deal. The body and interior were in TOP NOTCH condition. Everything worked from the ECS, dual mode exhaust, active aero, etc. Mechanically, it just turned over 100K miles- but just recently had the timing belt, water pump, and all 24 lifters replaced (with updated version) as well as brakes, tires, and alignment. All of the maintenance paperwork was kept and revealed to me. The only issue with it was that it would intermittantly fail to start- and when it did, it would sometimes shut down right away. I'm sure this issue turned away MANY potential buyers from picking it up b4 me. I bought it knowing full well what the problem was and used this issue to knock the price down to WELL below KBB private party listed price. All i've done to it since i've had it is change all of the fluids (diff, transfer, trans, engine, 4WS/PS oil, etc), rub it down with Mothers Clay Bar followed with wax- and replaced the leaking capacitors on the PCM and it hasn't had any issues since! The capacitors i paid for are less than $10 for all 3- everything else was all available to me at work. I'm quite happy with my 92!!. All i need is to upgrade to some 18", downpipe, add a freeflowing exhaust, MBC, and that's it! I'm not much of a speed freak but i want to unleash it's potential without going overboard.
One other thing- during my 3 week back and forth discussion/negotiation with the owner- when i road tested the VR4, i felt that it was lacking the high end punch typical of a TT 6G72 engine (this may have beena another reason the owner wanted to see it ON TOP of the no start issues). Having looked through the paperwork, i found a previous "Failed" smog inspection in which the smog tech failed it for "timing out of spec" stating that it was 15 degrees too advanced. The shop eventually charged the previous owner a service fee to "set the timing back to spec". With just a hunch- i felt that the smog tech probably didn't ground the check terminal before checking the timing and that he wasn't actually reading base timing. It turns out i was CORRECT and they actually reset the ignition timing 15 degrees retarded when they made their adjustment. Once the car was in my possesion- i grounded the check terminal, reset the timing back to specs- and sure enough, the engine came back to life pulling all the way to redline!
My point is- don't rush into puchasing a vehicle like this and keep your eyes open for a golden opportunity just in case it presents itself. Both newer and older 3KGT's can be money pits if they're used and abused without giving a bit of maintenance and preventative maintenance in return. Good Luck!

Here's a couple of pics of my recent purchase below-

This is how she looked when i 1st layed eyes on her

after taking her home and giving her a clay bar rubdown and wax

Joel_CA
Diamond Star Certified/Smog Technician