Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

3ooo GT dying at stop lights...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 08:51 PM
Exclamation 3ooo GT dying at stop lights...

Hey everybody, I've got an issue with the GT dying a lot at stop lights. Sometimes it does, sometimes not. The idle fluctuates terribly if I drive it a little "hard" (up to 1500 rpm, then down, then up, and so forth) but I never really beat the hell out of it, because I have to replace the engine mounts. A friend has the Snap On ECM scanner, but is unsure if he has the correct Mitsubishi plug for the '91. I'll know tomorrow (he left it at the shop).
I also have another quick question, about the power steering line. It has a leak in it. It's the line that runs from the res. can forward to a piece of 180 degree bent tubing in front of the A/C condenser, then back to the res. can. Is THAT LINE a high pressure line. The reason I ask is that it has factory style hose clamps on it and not the typical A/N type fittings found on high pressure lines, and can I replace the factory 180 degree bent tube with a piece of stainless..?

Last edited by sp33dfreek; 03-22-2012 at 08:53 PM. Reason: forgot something...
Old 03-23-2012, 10:09 AM

He actually has the Snap On plug labelled "Mitsubishi #1" If anybody knows if this is the correct plug, let me know. I'll keep posting results as I find them. and keep you all updated as it seems to be a common issue with many different results. I'll try to add every detail as I notice as well.
* I noticed the fuel pump made quite a bit of noise at one point. I'll have to do a tune up here too, the usual plug wires, plugs, coils, etc. to include a new fuel filter wouldn't be a bad Idea. This car has been obviously neglected but has been living it's life in Arizona, so, for the most part is still structurally sound.
* I was also told that the car hit a wheel and tire on the interstate off-ramp. The result seems to have effected the steering as it "lurches" to the right under acceleration and then back to the left on let off (that hopefully will subside after the motor mounts are changed along with the tie-rods and ball joints).
* The tire that was blown in that situation was still in the hatch on the Fittipaldi wheel, the inner 2 inches were run down to the cords as he said he had to drive on it until he could swap it for the spare.
* The CV joint has begun to make the common "I'm gonna give out soon" chatter on the same side he hit the rim/tire (passenger side).
* The brake on the rear of that side (passenger) has a ticking sound that seems to disappear with light pedal pressure and I have a notion the way he drives he may have been showing off and tried the classic, "look how the car slides if I grab the E-brake real hard wanna be cop tricks".
This is all both trivial and serious to me actually. I will not be getting rid of this car, as I have so many others. I have begun to enjoy it more than I see it as a nuisance. I could spend more on another car, in better shape, but I almost feel that since I owned this particular car before he got it, I owe it to this car to follow through with the repair and restoration of it. I feel it has a "personality", as if it's part of my responsibility to take care of it.
* I have had several muscle cars, Charger, Camaro, Mustang, Grand National (my personal fav.), even a Fiero, Reatta, and a couple of Z cars in there too. Even my '53 Chevy hot rod. A few pickups, and more than my fair share of motorcycles, which I'm unable to ride at this point. I never really got along with Corvette people, wanted one, till I drove it, it was a trashed out '88. I had never seen a car so cool, beat so bad and been so mistreated. Would still like to drive a Porsche 911, or Ferrari 612 GTO, who wouldn't..? The Acura NSX is the only other car I feel I could be as passionate about. To me the 3ooo GT is cool as hell, and that's good enough for me.

Last edited by sp33dfreek; 03-23-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:59 PM

could be a bad idle air controller...

Old 03-27-2012, 09:13 PM

Thanks Girly VR4... That was my first thought, although I haven't changed it yet... I'll be doing that within then next week as the second part of the diagnosis... Have you got a VR4..? I have the middle of the road model. There's a girl driving around locally with a wicked black one... She's one helluva' driver apparently... I've yet to find the cruise spot in my area, but some of the people I've met around here with imports are seemingly very leery of "new" people. One guy I recently had the pleasure of hanging out with has a very sweet and pristine, chrome yellow, NSX. I have a lot of work to do before I feel very confident in this ride... Thanx again...

Last edited by sp33dfreek; 03-29-2012 at 07:11 PM.