Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

97-3000GT-Dallas Texas - My first one - hints and tips plz

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 10:06 PM
Default 97-3000GT-Dallas Texas - My first one - hints and tips plz

I am new to this forum - I just bought a impound "Arrest" 30000GT 1997 base model. (arrest meaning it was running when they made the traffic stop and took the guy to jail) - Any beginning steps and preventive mechanical issues I need to address that these rides have issues historically would be greatly appreciated. I will be checking the cyl compressions, changing the catalytic converters, sending the injectors to be cleaned and tested (replaced if necessary) and removing the radiator to having it cleaned and tested in an attempt to ensure those components do not interfere with any other issues or troubleshooting that arises. I just bought it from auction 3 days ago and it arrived at my home by wrecker last night.

Attached Thumbnails 97-3000GT-Dallas Texas - My first one - hints and tips plz-97-3000gt-1-.jpg   97-3000GT-Dallas Texas - My first one - hints and tips plz-97-3000gt-2-.jpg   97-3000GT-Dallas Texas - My first one - hints and tips plz-97-3000gt-3-.jpg  
Old 04-14-2011, 10:39 PM

BTW - I am basically asking the proverbial question - "What would you do mechanically to this car (within reason) before interior upholstery and exterior paint.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:34 AM

changing the catalytic converters is a waste of time and money. They really don't go bad on these cars, ever, and they are expensive. The injectors will be fine, they don't go bad on these cars either. If the radiator is leaking or a lot of fins are missing, then replace it. Otherwise, leave it be.

Do the engine seals (rear main seal, valve cover gaskets, etc), do the timing belt and water pump service (with the tensioner and pulleys). I'd recommend a new fuel filter, air filter, new fluids, etc.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:26 AM
Thumbs up Thanks Em

Em - even on a car that's 14 / 15 years old - your confident of the radiator not being full of sludge, injectors not fouling, and the cats not fouling ? - this ride was not taken care of for an undetermined amount of its later life. I was attempting to do preventive maintenance based on past experiences with other cars and those problems manifesting into much larger problems with much bigger $$$$$ amounts of repair needed. You are the master of disaster when it comes to these rides i am sure - if you say "no way Jose' then I will leave all that work alone and focus on other more important work it needs. BTW - I should have a report from the mechanic by the end of the week and order more parts if needed - K

Old 04-21-2011, 12:02 AM

Since you don't know the history on the car the most important thing to do is the 60k maintenance on the car. This is the one thing that has to be done religiously on these cars or you risk serious engine damage from timing belt and tensioner failures. The next most important thing is the 120k. These guys have a good write up on both. http://www.3sx.com/store/comersus_li...?idCategory=79 You shouldn't worry about upgrades until you have the basics taken care of.

Expect to pay $600-1,000 for the service depending on where you go and what else you may need.

Last edited by Markingtime; 04-21-2011 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:59 AM
Default Thanks Markingtime

Thanks for that info - that's exactly what I am going to do - BTW - I thought their was far more GT lovers out there with clubs and networking in all states - hoping to find enthusiasts that have been there done that sorta thing - I have found that most everyone that has either discussed them online or through casual conversation considers these cars pretty solid and capable of withstanding almost any abuse - even through neglect for maintenance

Old 04-24-2011, 02:15 PM

Good luck with your new toy. What part of the country are you from?

Old 05-15-2011, 02:07 PM

if its a manual transmission, i highly recommend changing to synthetic transmission fluid....i've owned 3 3000's, and its an amazing difference!

Old 05-17-2011, 07:19 AM

Markingtime - The car is in Dallas / Fort Worth - I am originally from Houston Texas - if you know anyone, suppliers, shops etc.... in either of those locations it would help - that's my stomping grounds. Suppliers really do not matter where they are with shipping costs being almost the same whether around the corner or across the USA - its almost the same cost - LOL. Sorry for the late reply - I have been traveling quite a few weeks now. I am getting deeper into the car this week.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:34 AM

Poppy - thanks for that advice. I have a automatic - something I should have put into the advert. So you have owned 3 of the 3000GT's - you must know quite a lot about their history or maintenance issues (if any - lol) anything you can tell me is greatly appreciated. I have always considered the 3000 to be the true definition of a Japanese Muscle Car.

Quick Reply: 97-3000GT-Dallas Texas - My first one - hints and tips plz