Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

Buying 1993 3000GT SL

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 01:41 PM
Default Buying 1993 3000GT SL

Hey 3000 GT Owners,

I need some advice. I found a '93 3000GT SL automatic with 67,000 miles for $5,000. It's been well cared for. The only mods are a K&N intake, 18" rims and stereo. It comes with original cast wheels/tires and car cover. It looks like a great deal. It was hard to believe it only has 67,000 miles but I did a VIN check and it looks legit. The current (second) owner bought it from a Ford dealership. Apparently the original owner traded it at 32,600 miles in May 2002. It was bought by the second owner in Nov 2000. I wondered if the original owner reset the odometer because otherwise it would mean the car was only driven about 3,000 miles per year from '93 to '02 (hard to believe...)

The car rides nice. It was the first time I drove one. It does feel solid and heavy. They're not the quickest off the line according to the Forum and from what I experienced. But it does respond very nicely to throttle once it gets going. I'm not looking to race...just to use as a fun cruiser.

Questions: Is this a good deal? Could the odometer have been reset? I assume it's ready for a timing belt/serpentine belt change? Is there any service/replacement of any components that should be done with this kind of mileage? Do all of these motors have the leaky valve seal problem I've heard about? A friend had a Diamante with the same motor and his smoked a little at idle and consumed some oil. How difficult/expensive would it be to convert to a 5-speed trans when the auto goes? I will be using it for commuting and leisure...what is the expected city/highway mpg?

I will be picking up the car tonight or tomorrow. Don't want to pass on what looks like a good deal. Sincerely appreciate any feedback...

Regards
AlbertG

Old 06-19-2006, 07:16 PM
Default RE: Buying 1993 3000GT SL

i bought a car similar to yours. i bought a 1994 3000GT base. it was really nice, and the person who i bought it from was the first owner. he had all the reciepts ever since he bought it. the car is in perfect shape. the only drawback was that the shift boot is kinda messed up. the car had only 68,000 miles, and i bought it for 7 G's. the car is a manual and is really fun to drive. i think it has the same engine as the SL, and is lighter than the SL. i bought it thinking it was a good deal.
the owner before me, he put in all the new belts and transmission for my car before i bought it, so it was good to go.
i dont really know anything about changing it from an auto to a manual. so i cant really help you there.
i get around 20 sumthin, mpg. maybe more, on a full tank of gas maybe 280 miles?

Dao Yang

Old 06-20-2006, 12:15 PM

Thanks for your feedback Supercharged...

Any others with info would be appreciated...

Old 06-20-2006, 05:16 PM

ORIGINAL: supercharged3kgt

i bought a car similar to yours. i bought a 1994 3000GT base. it was really nice, and the person who i bought it from was the first owner. he had all the reciepts ever since he bought it. the car is in perfect shape. the only drawback was that the shift boot is kinda messed up. the car had only 68,000 miles, and i bought it for 7 G's. the car is a manual and is really fun to drive. i think it has the same engine as the SL, and is lighter than the SL. i bought it thinking it was a good deal.
the owner before me, he put in all the new belts and transmission for my car before i bought it, so it was good to go.
i dont really know anything about changing it from an auto to a manual. so i cant really help you there.
i get around 20 sumthin, mpg. maybe more, on a full tank of gas maybe 280 miles?

Dao Yang

noooo SL and base are two very different things....the base engine is SOHC and the SL is DOHC.... a base is practically forever doomed to be slow...the SL actually has potential to be fast....

anyway...it sounds like a good deal man...one thing i have commonly found is that 3ks are often babied and garage kept so id say that the owner probably didnt use it as a daily driver...i bought my 99 SL with 54K and i was shocked exactly like you on how few miles it had....i would say for the price that youve been given that is a good deal and if carfax cant come up with anything to make you think otherwise go ahead..take it

Old 06-20-2006, 06:32 PM

noooo SL and base are two very different things....the base engine is SOHC and the SL is DOHC.... a base is practically forever doomed to be slow...the SL actually has potential to be fast....

anyway...it sounds like a good deal man...one thing i have commonly found is that 3ks are often babied and garage kept so id say that the owner probably didnt use it as a daily driver...i bought my 99 SL with 54K and i was shocked exactly like you on how few miles it had....i would say for the price that youve been given that is a good deal and if carfax cant come up with anything to make you think otherwise go ahead..take it
my car has a DOHC engine. its a base. the 94 base's had the same engine as the SL's. well thats what i read, and im 100% sure, i have a DOHC engine. it says it right my valve cover. there are no SL badges on my car. it only says 3000GT so i know its not a SL.

Old 06-21-2006, 01:02 AM

ORIGINAL: supercharged3kgt

my car has a DOHC engine. its a base. the 94 base's had the same engine as the SL's. well thats what i read, and im 100% sure, i have a DOHC engine. it says it right my valve cover. there are no SL badges on my car. it only says 3000GT so i know its not a SL.

you sure about that???...mine is an SL and it doesnt have any SL badges on it.....if its a DOHC is an SL....has to be...

Old 06-21-2006, 01:24 PM

Thanks to all for the replies...

Picked up the car last night...it is an SL / DOHC /auto trans with 66,500 miles / leather interior...the car is sweet...it's been well cared for...with it came 18' rims/tires, stock wheels/tires, Kenwood stereo/speakers'subwoofer, K&N intake, and a car cover...the owner was ****...he washed the car for me...all well taken care of...the paint is great...shines almost new...I can't believe the deal for $5000...you should have heard the complaints from my fiance when I asked her to drive my pickup truck home...!!!

Sending it to a very good friend who is a master mechanic...he will check it out and do service. I would appreciate recommendations for what needs to be checked out/serviced at 66,500 miles...I read on the Forum to do the 60K mile service...

I will probably do the following and any other recommendations from Forumites:

1) Timing Belt: Should I go with the Power Enterprise Super Strong II Kevlar Timing Belt or other?? (see www.3sxperformance.com) - $179.95
2) Outer/Inner Belts replacement?? Brand/type??
3) Any tensioners/pulleys or other service/replacements while doing the timing belt??
4) I want to change all the fluids. Appreciate any recommendations on fluid types/brands... for motor, transmission, transaxle, power steering, coolant/antifreeze, etc. I read on the Forum that 20/50W motor oil is the way to go. What other fluids should I replace and with what brands/type/weight, etc??
5) What shop manual is best? Mitsubishi or aftermarket?
6) What are best on-line sites for parts??
7) The dash says use 'Premium' fuel...can these cars run well on 87 or 89? I'm not racing...just cruising...but I don't want any engine knock/ping...
8) Is it OK to use the electronic overdrive all the time? ...especially since I won't be pushing it too hard? The overdrive was 'on' when I picked up the car. I turned it off/on again while driving and it works fine.

Lastly, I need to fix the leather on the driver side seat back...the right side front edge panel is worn out. Should I take this to a good automotive seat upholsterer?

Sorry for the short story...sincerely appreciate any advice from the 3000GT brother/sisterhood...

Regards
AlbertG

Old 06-21-2006, 11:22 PM

I think that car sounds pretty reasonable, considering that I bought a 1991 manuel 3000gt for $5600 about 2 years ago and it had over 100,000 miles on it. I have had a few minor problems with this car though. I have had starting issues related to electrical problems and then also I had to replace the ignition. The previous owner had put new duel exaust on the vehicle, however, the exaust on the right side was installed too close to my fuel inlet hose, so that had melted before and had to be replaced. Other than those minor problems, the air conditining is not working AT ALL:O(, but those are all the issues I have had. I would double check on kelley blue book for sure, if you haven't already, to double check what the car's worth before you buy it!

Old 06-28-2006, 06:29 PM

Bump...Any help on the above thread is appreciated

Old 10-28-2006, 09:20 PM

I know I'm bringing an old thread back to life, but I have to answer a few questions. The 91-96 3000GTs all have the 222 hp DOHC engines, regardless if they're SL, base, or VR4. The difference the SL had over the base is that the SL has adjustable shocks, leather, ABS, and digital climate control(in 91-93 SL only). From 97-up, base models got the 160 hp SOHC engine they had been putting in the base Dodge Stealths all along. So if you wanted a DOHC engine in the 97 up 3000GT you had to opt for the SL package.

Now the smoking is from the valve stem seals. They ALL eventually smoke after 100K miles. Big job that requires timing belt, cam, and sometimes head removal. Although some of us have made our own tools that don't require any of those jobs. Shops/dealers want $1000, give or take a few $$. It's easier for me since I've done a few, so I only charge locals $300.

Quick Reply: Buying 1993 3000GT SL