Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

clicking noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 05:15 PM
Default RE: clicking noise

They are hydralic lash adjusters. They've been mistaken called lifters for so long, many probably don't really know the difference, but that is neither here nor there. There is actually a write up in my mechanic manual that basically says what you said about re-priming the lash adjusters...slow rev up to 3k rpm's and hold for a couple seconds then slowly let it idle down (repeat a couple times if needed). If the "ticking" doesn't go away there is a problem with them.

Old 01-24-2007, 06:36 PM

ya know, it could also be that one of the high pressure lines that flows oil to the adjusters is clogged... if thats the case, its a simple matter of cleaning the line. I would recommend using a product called SEA-FOAM. Not sure who makes it, but It will pretty much clean, and unclogg anything that needs cleaning or unclogging. Most major automotive stores carry it. I would pour a bottle in about a week before my next oil change, and then put half a bottle in the gas tank, and let the engine suck the other half through a vaccum line. Granted, it will make your engine pour more white smoke out of the exhaust then two thermonuclear power plants, but it should only last about 20 mins, less if you drive it a little hard. Also... The stuff that you pour into the oil pan should make the inside of your engine sparkly clean. As for the stuff in your gas tank, it cleans injectors better than anything else on the market, and wont hurt your cats...
If you do it, make sure to let your car idle for about 5 mins after sucking it through the vaccum line, and then go driving until all the smoke is cleared up.

Old 01-24-2007, 11:34 PM

but if the lifter tick just started happening about a year ago then couldn't i just replace them with the same ones and use a better oil and change it more often. i already change it every 3000 or every month.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:53 PM

Usually I know it's about time to change my oil when my lash adjusters start talking to me more frequently.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:15 PM

yeah, if it just started... But just replacing the adjusters may not fix the problem. Like I said... i would try to just run some sea-foam through it first, and then see how it goes. That alone my cure the problem, and it'd be a whole lot cheaper than replacing ****... if that doesnt work... then i would replace the adjusters

Old 01-29-2007, 01:07 PM

ok well i know its lifter tick, just now its happening more and more and its lasting quite a while. i changed my oil on friday and it still does it a lot, going to run seafoam through it today and hopefully that will help. if that doesn't do it then i guess i'll change them.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:05 PM

great, let us know whats going on, I for one want to see how this turns out

Old 01-31-2007, 12:37 AM

how long should sea-foam take to work, been running with it in for about a hundres miles and it dones't seem to do anything. it actually seems to be getting worse, now it doesn't seem to mattter how long it idles or runs it still is ticking the entire time. might as well replace them.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:48 PM

I have no personal experience with seafoam...but I've always wondered where all the built up sludge goes when you break it loose with seafoam. I can't believe that it totally breaks it down and it comes out when you do an oil change...?

Change your oil. With the seafoam in there, you have thinned out your oil.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:20 PM

Where did yo add it, and how much?
as for where it goes when it breaks down.
What it does, or so im told is, it releases the carbon in the oil tha causes it to stick together to begin with, it then settles ina thick liquid at the bottom of the oil pan, waiting for your next change.
From what I've seen thats pretty much what it does. As for cleaning out the rest, it simply uncloggs it, and shoots it out the freakin exhaust.

Quick Reply: clicking noise