Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

Engine cranks but wont start

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Default Engine cranks but wont start

I have a 93 non turbo. Started the car yesterday, was runnung fine but the check engine light came on. I shut it down for 10 seconds and tried to start it again. She just cranks but wont fire. I pulled the codes and they are.....Crank angle sensorAND Top dead center sensor (cam sensor). Then per the manual, I checked the voltage and resistence values from the harness at the connectors. They both check out OK.
I find it hard to beleive that both could be bad. I know that the ECU, ignition module and coils are all tied in with this also.
I hate to start shotgunning parts at this and was wondering if anyone else has run accross this problem before. I had the ECU rebuilt about a year ago.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:15 PM
Banned
Default RE: Engine cranks but wont start

When my ignition control module went out there was no check engine light so scratch that. Its not the coils either.

I think its the crank angle sensor.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:55 PM

I have kinda the same problem, and I changed the CAS. Still have the same problem even after changing the CAS, so now i'm looking into repairing the ECU.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:01 PM
Banned

I can almost guarentee its no the ECU. Unless you smelled a rotten egg smell.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:09 PM

hello. i'd put money that its the ECU. pull off an injector connector on the front bank and put a noid light on it. when u crank it that noid light should blink bright and fast. if no pulse, and you know your crank sensor is good replace that ECU with a new one. REBUILT ECU'S ARE PURE CRAP. most come with a 30 day warranty. they go bad usually within 90 days. if you have a scanner go to the data section and pull up crank sensor then spin it over, if the crank sensor registers around 200rpm's thats normal and your crank sensor is fine.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:46 PM

ecu, maf sensor, orrr. :]

do you have any compression?

Old 02-22-2008, 06:53 PM

have you checked all the basics? spark, fuel, compression? it could also be that your timing belt slipt a tooth. what all have you checked so far?

Old 02-23-2008, 05:55 PM

OK guys, I pulled the ecu and tested it in another 3000gt and it works fine. The timing marks are on the money. Checked spark and am only getting fire from the center coil (#2 and #5 cylinders). Do you think it could be the PTU or ignition module?
Thanks.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:05 PM
Old 02-24-2008, 04:23 PM

I had a similar problem with the check engine light coming on. It was the engine coolant tempurature sensor, had the proper coolant level, just was telling the car it didn't, so i got that replaced. Also replaced the thermostat and gasket.

Quick Reply: Engine cranks but wont start