Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

Engine Parts for a Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 09:09 AM
Default Engine Parts for a Rebuild

Does anyone have recommended companies for parts on a 92 3000GT? My mother in law has one with a ruined engine, but she wants to just rebuild it. I'm looking for cylinder heads, valvetrain, and possibly rotating assembly components, but I'm a Chevy guy, I know those suppliers. I don't know any of the good Japanese supports. Any help?

Old 04-13-2009, 05:40 PM

I *believe* we have an engine here at the shop that would work. I'm assuming it's a non turbo? In all honesty, it's not worth it to spend the time and money piecing the engine parts together to rebuild it. You can just pick up a good used engine. It's a COMPLETELY different animal from any Chevy :lol:

Old 04-14-2009, 02:22 PM

Yes, it's a 92 Non-Turbo. The owner isn't really excited with buying a used engine. Rebuilding a Mitsu motor is really that bad? I know a good team can rebuild a small block chevy in just a couple hours. Even the inexperienced can do a lot of it with the aid of a good shop manual. I'm just so used to the Chevy approach, Eagle Pistons and rods, AFR heads, CompCams Valvesprings, valves, and cam shaft, Felpro gaskets... Congratulations, there's the core of your rebuild right there.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:28 PM

unfortunately, these cars are COMPLETELY different animals. And are VERY finicky. Your best bet, would either be to get a brand new OEM shortblock (if the problem is in the bottom end), and bolt on the old heads (just have them inspected by a machinist). But, that's BIIIG $$$$$, and completely not cost effective.

What is wrong with the engine that it needs a rebuild?

We have a good used N/A engine here from a 98, it runs and drives in the car perfectly fine now, but the car has been totalled, so, it's being pulled out. There are a few places that sell used engines that offer a 30 day warranty. So, if they're bad, you just need to return it within 30 days. Search around on e-bay, there were a few of those places selling on there not too long ago.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:35 AM

The engine that's in there lost oil pressure completely, and they were told it bent some valves, but no shop has fully opened it to decide exactly how much damage was done. So a crate motor is the best way? That's not my preference, but I certainly have found it to not be like my chevy motors. *grumble grumble* Too bad I can't just stuff a small block in it. :P

Old 04-15-2009, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by ProjectCaddyGuy
The engine that's in there lost oil pressure completely, and they were told it bent some valves, but no shop has fully opened it to decide exactly how much damage was done. So a crate motor is the best way? That's not my preference, but I certainly have found it to not be like my chevy motors. *grumble grumble* Too bad I can't just stuff a small block in it. :P
A good used engine is your best bet. We don't really have "crate" engines. Just a shortblock available from the dealer for ridiculous money (re: $3000 for just the bottom end). Then you still need a full gasket set, heads (used, because you do not want to know brand-new prices on those, etc, etc. You can pick up a good used engine with a 30 day warranty for around $1000. Search around on e-bay, there are a few reputable companies on there that offer warranties on their used engines.

If it lost oil pressure, it would have spun bearings, resulting in rod knock, which I guess if it was driven like that long enuogh could bend the valves... A snapped timing belt would bend valves, not usually from oil starvation.

Where are you located?

Old 04-15-2009, 06:02 PM

Central FL. And *grumbling more* There's a reason I drive GM's A used motor just isn't as appealing.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by ProjectCaddyGuy
Central FL. And *grumbling more* There's a reason I drive GM's A used motor just isn't as appealing.
unfortunately, with these cars, it's usually your best bet... unless you want to pay more than the entire car is worth, on just the shortblock alone. LOL

www.florida3s.com a VERY helpful bunch, and you can probably find someone local that can help you out with anything you need