Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

The genesis of a dream.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 03:46 AM
Default The genesis of a dream.....

Hey everybody. My name is Quinton, i recently finished a 4 year tour in the Army and have decided that it was time i did something for me.........so i have decided to buy myself 3000gt vr-4. Now i've pretty much got an idea of what i want and what price range and all, but i have a few questions i don't think anybody had answered:

1) I would like to someday have a 500 hp daily driver one day, but i know that day is faaaaaar in the future and maynot be the first gt i buy. however i want to know what are the most practical mods and/or performance items i should buy and for how much am i looking to spend? I was thinking of:

a. full tune up
b. Oil catch can
c. Turbo timer
d. boost controller
e. Borla (because i've heard ALOT of people talking about it increasing HP and a Killer sound, but is it neccicary?)
f. HKS SSQV

am i on the right track? if so, which companies should i buy from. I a big fan of Momo and HKS, but i dunno if they sell the best parts for 3000gt's. Also if i am on the right track how much would all this cost? Ballpark estimates?

2) Would it really matter if i bought a 3k vr-4 with high mileage? I mean couldn't i just either buy another crate engine or rebuild it?

3) Is anybody near where i live? im looking for a place to to some seriously sick bodymods to my car, and i have ideas, but nobody to go to!

thanks for everything in advance everyone, im sure i'm going to use this forum alot in the near future.

Old 07-07-2006, 04:49 PM
Default RE: The genesis of a dream.....

Okay, here's what I would do. The turbo boost is a good way to increase power. Buy a boost controller. The whole idea is to increase the air flow. So, I would buy a new intake system with a high-flow design. Install a test pipe (also known as race pipe). Careful, they are illegal in most states. Install after-market intercoolers. (Cold air is more dense than hot air.) You might want to replace all of the tubo hoses and black piping with aluminum to also control the temperature of the intake air. Finally, consider a new exhaust system with new down-pipe and mufflers. There are many other things you can do. These are just a few.

Old 07-08-2006, 08:50 PM

Finally! thanks for the reply. so to recap, i would want the pretty much all the stuff i put in the original list plus an intercooler, correct? are there any brands you would suggest? Im pretty sure the BOV will be HKS's SSQV.........unless anybody has any better suggestions........Also what's the charge for being caught with a test pipe? The last thing i need is to get the thing impounded after i poured all that money into it.......

Old 07-09-2006, 12:47 AM

Where can I get an new high flow intake system and intercooler that will go on a 95 vr4?

Old 07-10-2006, 12:41 AM

what does an oil catch can do exactly?

Old 07-10-2006, 03:59 AM

ORIGINAL: Rochelimit

Hey everybody. My name is Quinton, i recently finished a 4 year tour in the Army and have decided that it was time i did something for me.........so i have decided to buy myself 3000gt vr-4. Now i've pretty much got an idea of what i want and what price range and all, but i have a few questions i don't think anybody had answered:

1) I would like to someday have a 500 hp daily driver one day, but i know that day is faaaaaar in the future and maynot be the first gt i buy. however i want to know what are the most practical mods and/or performance items i should buy and for how much am i looking to spend? I was thinking of:

a. full tune up
b. Oil catch can
c. Turbo timer
d. boost controller
e. Borla (because i've heard ALOT of people talking about it increasing HP and a Killer sound, but is it neccicary?)
f. HKS SSQV

am i on the right track? if so, which companies should i buy from. I a big fan of Momo and HKS, but i dunno if they sell the best parts for 3000gt's. Also if i am on the right track how much would all this cost? Ballpark estimates?

2) Would it really matter if i bought a 3k vr-4 with high mileage? I mean couldn't i just either buy another crate engine or rebuild it?

3) Is anybody near where i live? im looking for a place to to some seriously sick bodymods to my car, and i have ideas, but nobody to go to!

thanks for everything in advance everyone, im sure i'm going to use this forum alot in the near future.

1. with all respect...if you make a 500 HP daily driver out of a 3k i swear to god ill bake a cake and send it to you cuz its not gonna be easy

Gary gave some really good advise but personally i would tell you to start messing with the turbos last....start with the normal first mods...a CAI (cold air intake)....new longer headers for more airflow...along with a new fatter downpipe with a straight race pipe (like gary said its illegal but you dont realize what a hinder a cat converter puts on your airflow until you actually remove it)...and then continue with a new catback...like you asked...borla is nice...alot of 3k owners on this site have it...its extremely expensive but all the owners ive asked are satisfied with it...

start with that stuff...it allows your engine to prepare itself with the power that comes with adding power to the turbos...

oh and by an oil catch can???? you mean one of those 30 dollar performance oil filters that really dont do ****???

Old 07-10-2006, 04:30 AM

oil catch tank like this, it has a description but i dont know what its talking about.....

http://www.andysautosport.com/produc...01&_v=vmd00292

Old 07-10-2006, 04:53 AM

ORIGINAL: Xavier

oil catch tank like this, it has a description but i dont know what its talking about.....

wow i checked it out....ive honest to god never heard of that...and from the description it really doesnt sound like a necessity...lol and sure as hell not for 100 bucks

Old 07-10-2006, 12:57 PM

So ballpark for a price? 7g's?
Also what's a good brand for 3000gts? I'm leaninig on momoing the hell out of it. Does anybody know about getting sponsors as well?
ORIGINAL: DeathCabForCutie

ORIGINAL: Rochelimit

a. full tune up
b. Oil catch can
c. Turbo timer
d. boost controller
f. HKS SSQV

1. with all respect...if you make a 500 HP daily driver out of a 3k i swear to god ill bake a cake and send it to you cuz its not gonna be easy

Gary gave some really good advise but personally i would tell you to start messing with the turbos last....start with the normal first mods...a CAI (cold air intake)....new longer headers for more airflow...along with a new fatter downpipe with a straight race pipe (like gary said its illegal but you dont realize what a hinder a cat converter puts on your airflow until you actually remove it)...and then continue with a new catback...like you asked...borla is nice...alot of 3k owners on this site have it...its extremely expensive but all the owners ive asked are satisfied with it...

start with that stuff...it allows your engine to prepare itself with the power that comes with adding power to the turbos...

oh and by an oil catch can???? you mean one of those 30 dollar performance oil filters that really dont do ****???

Old 07-10-2006, 01:44 PM

ORIGINAL: DeathCabForCutie

ORIGINAL: Xavier

wow i checked it out....ive honest to god never heard of that...and from the description it really doesnt sound like a necessity...lol and sure as hell not for 100 bucks
ok so does anyone know what its intended use would be? or did some company decided make an aluminum they could sell for 100 bucks?

Quick Reply: The genesis of a dream.....