Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

help with ecu

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 08:19 PM
Default help with ecu

Hey guys im new to this.. I just bought my first 3000gt vr4.. its a 92 vr4 and i got it fairly cheap as a project type car.. It runs but the ecu is bad it lags out between 2 and 4 thousand rpms.. after that is actually pretty fast.. obviously wen i bought it i knew it needed a ecu.. brand new ones are hella expensive and i found some used ones between 175 and 200 dollars.. can any one maybe help me on finding a ecu.. also i had question i hope someone could answer.. Does it matter if the ecu comes from a non turbo 3000 gt ??? The guy i had bought it from told me to get one out of a 95 because the 92 and above had recalls or i guess they just were prone to going bad.. but ive been looking around and found some 3000gt's for sale dirt cheap and i wanted to ask if i could use the ecu's out of them but didnt want to sound like a jackass if i was wrong.. i just dont know too much about these cars.. please help!!! also it has three hundred twenty horse stock with 9lbs of boost... i was told to get a walbro fuel pump and some 550cc injectors to increase boost and horse.. whats some good advice for giving her some more horse.. im really lookin to put 400 to 450 with out doing any internal upgrades.. just looking for bolt-ons for now dont have to much $$$ to take to shop for pistons and bigger turbos andstuff like that.. sorry so long thax for your time..

Old 06-01-2008, 10:41 AM
Default RE: help with ecu

I just bought a 92 SL and it idled about 2500rpm at first and smoked really bad. So of course I bought an ecu for like $200 and everything worked great after. And yes the ecu's are different, so you need a turbo ecu. I don't know of anything that will give you that much horse power for cheap. You can put an intake and some exhaust on it and that would help.

Good luck with the project.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:43 PM

thanx with the help.. does any one have a ecu for sale??? yeah thnx its not that im cheap or nothing because i really try to get the best stuff to have it run as good as possible... i just dont have money to put it in a shop or nothing but what would be some good upgrades...

Old 06-04-2008, 10:33 AM

I have a new ECU for a 92 vr4 for sale sitting in my garage it came with my 92 vr4 I bought off this guy but had no use all my car needed was a tune up so I can take come pics and send them out to if you are still looking im asking 350$ let me know.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:38 PM

yeah send them pics please.. send it to evil13itch1n4@aol.com my email is not working so just send it to my sisters and ill go on through her.. thnx also you said its new are we talking brand new just wondering because i have been asking around and looking and people who know more about the car then i do beacuse im new to this particular car have told me to look for a 95 or above ecu because the 92's are prone to go out easily.. any advice??? and im not trying to stiff you or nothing but i seen some used ones on ebay for 200 so that was really my price range around there but if its really worth ill think about it i just am not familiar with these cars and i dont want to spend 350 on a 92 and it go bad a couple months later.. so dont take that the wrong way i just dont want to get screwed

Old 06-04-2008, 03:19 PM

First, Do not buy a 95 ECU for your 92.

Second you must get a ECU that is from the same model you have IE: VR4 you get a VR4 ECU. You can not use an NA ECU.

Third, you have 300 flywheel horsepower. Probably 250 Wheel horsepower

Fourth, It does not sound like you ECU is bad. Explain your problem in more depth.

Fifth. before you even think about modifying this car ask yourself:
A: has the timing belt/timing tensioner/timing pulleys been replaced in the last 60,000 miles
B: Has the the water pump been replaced in the last 60,000 miles.

If you answered no or You don't know you need to do that

Old 06-04-2008, 09:57 PM

oh ok well i know i have to get the ecu off a vr4 and it has to match but the guy i got it from told me to use it off a 95 vr4 witch is what i meant.. i know the water pump was changed in the last 60,000 miles.. the car has 94 thousand miles.. but im not sure about the timing.. and also the guy i got it from was who told me it needed a ecu.. this is the problem in more depth the car runs and drives but if you stab it to the floor or even give it alot of gas it lags out real bad.. it like hesitates.. and currently it runs open down pipe.. but it dont smoke or nothing if you gradually give it gas it runs fine but you cant get on it at all and also the spark plugs would go out and the guy i got it from told me that it was becuase of the ecu and that he gapped the spark plug .30 whatever that means.. and he said that helped it some.. but idk thats why i have been asking for help on here.. so if that helps any please give advice...

Old 06-04-2008, 11:32 PM

Hey sent u a pm about the ecu

Old 06-05-2008, 11:49 AM

The plugs should be gapped to .30 as a maximum.

Are you trying to say that you hit WOT (Floor the gas/. Wide Open Throttle) and bogs or stutters?

You must use an ECU from the same OBD.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:00 PM

What mods do you have done to your car?

Check for vacuum leaks.

Quick Reply: help with ecu