Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

I need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 01:44 AM
Default RE: I need some advice

ORIGINAL: john1006

ok i have one more question. i filled my transmission with gear oil, is there also a place to fill the transfer case or does it get gear oil from the transmission?
Transfer case has it's own drain and its own fill. As far as the cutting out- If it didn't happen before you did your tune up- go over your work and make that you've reconnected everything that was disconnected during your initial work. One more thing- completely random/unexplanable issues can often be attributed to leaking capacitors in the MFI ECU. This is a very common occurance in 1G and some early 2G 3000GT/Stealths. Its not a matter of IF it will leak- its a matter of WHEN it will leak.

JJ

Old 08-05-2008, 01:59 AM

ORIGINAL: BrianWSNC

I guess your talking to me? Nice guy! I used to work on imports for years, and I found many a leak this way. The guy asked for an idea.... didn't know I would get such a "nice" reply from someone whom didn't even ask the question.

I will be more careful in posting from now on... if ever. gezz.. some people just can't help being a rude when posting online.

If this is the kind of people that own 3000GT's... I think I will rethink "joining the club" by purchasing one.
Don't pay too much attention to what that other guy said. You can pretty much look back at his last 50 or so posts and realize he has no clue. His post count sure does keep climbing though which is obviously important to him.
Spraying decarb cleaner or throttle body cleaner is the easiest and most common way to locate a vacuum leak- any real technicain/mechanic will agree with you.

JJ

Old 08-05-2008, 10:46 AM
Banned

Are you ****ing kidding me?

I know using a tank of propane is common, but I still advise against using volatile combustables to test for leaks.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:39 PM

ORIGINAL: Joel_CA

ORIGINAL: john1006

ok i have one more question. i filled my transmission with gear oil, is there also a place to fill the transfer case or does it get gear oil from the transmission?
Transfer case has it's own drain and its own fill. As far as the cutting out- If it didn't happen before you did your tune up- go over your work and make that you've reconnected everything that was disconnected during your initial work. One more thing- completely random/unexplanable issues can often be attributed to leaking capacitors in the MFI ECU. This is a very common occurance in 1G and some early 2G 3000GT/Stealths. Its not a matter of IF it will leak- its a matter of WHEN it will leak.

JJ
Thanks, and the stuttering was a vacuum hose under my y-pipe. But what do you mean by leak?

Old 08-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Banned

Vac leak means letting air in. The point of using carb cleaner/propane is to allow the engine to draw in the propellant from the leak source.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:56 PM

ORIGINAL: reggieccrgto

I side with you BrianWSNC. You gotta have thicker skin with some of these older members. Just have to remember they are old.

John1006 Im glad the advise worked for you.
Ha the funny thing is Sebba is what 17 years old and has never owned a car.

BTW sebba the advise given in this thread was not wrong in anyway IMO. Ive done it before myself. Not to mention Joel is actually a Mitsu Tech who knows these cars in and out. Maybe due to his work but look at his sig he also owns 2 and one of them is extremely rare

Old 08-05-2008, 09:19 PM

Thanks everyone. Lets not be too harsh on Sebba, I know we have all said things we wish we had not...and we all learn by them. It's makes us better in the long run.

Now.. for the good news... I just bought an 1995 3000 GT SL , leather seats, RED, automatic, new timing belt, new tires... etc.. Its in GREAT shape. I will take delivery of it tomorrow. !!.. yaaaa....

I guess you have me in your "club" now...

Old 08-07-2008, 03:34 AM

ORIGINAL: Sebba

Vac leak means letting air in. The point of using carb cleaner/propane is to allow the engine to draw in the propellant from the leak source.
I meant when he was talking about the ECU leaking

Old 08-07-2008, 08:47 AM

I'm referring the the ECU's power supply capacitors. Over time, the capacitors leak acid all over the pc board causing all kinds of mystery drivability problems from stalling, failure to start, misfires, idle problems- and MORE. If you do a google search on it- you'll find all the info you need including what to do about it. I bought my VR4 for cheap cause the owner had a tough time selling it due to capacitor related drivability problems (not to mention it would not stay running). I replaced the capacitors myself and haven't had any problems since.

JJ