Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

Need some advice for my new '02 lancer LS

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 12:40 AM
Default Need some advice for my new '02 lancer LS

Hello all,
I recently bought lancer 2002 LS.
I need some advice on upgrading my lancer without sacrificing the fuel efficiency or if you can improve the fuel efficiency that would be even better.
Right now what i'm thinking of installing is new spark plugs(i'm sure the previous owner never changed the spark plugs), and air filter.
Please give me any advice regarding the spark plugs and air filter (what model, manufacturer, cost, etc).

If you have any info regarding improfing the fuel efficiency, that will help me a lot (I drove 60miles/day to work )
Thanks

Old 03-24-2005, 02:09 PM
Default RE: Need some advice for my new '02 lancer LS

cool air intake, spark plugs and grounding wires are the only thing that will improve fuel

Old 03-24-2005, 10:35 PM

What kind of cool air intake can improve the fuel efficiency?
I changed my spark plugs to ngk iridium. I hope I made the right choice.
What grounding wire? I'm still a n00b in term of cars.

Thanks for your respond.

Old 03-30-2005, 12:37 AM

K&N, AEM, Injen, and theres a few other intakes out there. Here is some sites you can shop:
http://www.nopionline.com
http://performancetuning.com
http://performancecenter.com
http://autopartswarehouse.com

Old 03-30-2005, 07:31 AM

I guess if you are not a hard core race maniac, eco tires also help a LOT in fuel efficiency. Also the car's cv plays a very important role. Its simple phisics. There are 3 factors which result in the final fuel compsunson. First: how efficiently the engine burns fuel and turnes it into kinetic energy. You can influence it by optimizing the air intake trackt, since the easier the engine breathes the lower the power loss in the intake stage in every cylinder. Also the exhaust gas diversion should be cared of. Install unopposed (or lower opposion) exhaust system. Sport cat is also vital.

The second factor is how much does your car looses from its angine power on the drive train. Here we are talking about tires, and cv (air opposion to be simple). If you reduce tire rolling opposion by installing fuel eco tires you can win the day. Tire size is also important the smaller the better in your case. Pressure should be a little higher to make it roll fine. Also light rims, mean a LOT since the at every accel the engine has to spin up the weight of the rims and spinning up the rims requires a lot power. On the other hand you can lower the air drag by installing smaller mirrors, or fitting a lower front bump.

The third factor is YOU. Driving habits play the most in fuel consumption. Drive thinking ahead. Dont watch the car right ahead of you, watch at least three cars ahead. Try to predict the flow of the traffic. Dont push it when you see that it is already red and you will need to stop. Let the car just roll on using engine brake. Also dont accel harsh. And change gears a bit earlier. Plus use low revs if the terrain is flat.

Good luck.

Old 04-08-2005, 06:10 PM

hmmmm......u' need to push some fuel, in order to gain and to go fast. so far, fuel effiency is for cruisin. intake, muffler system and ignition system should help.