Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

I WONDER....

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 02:19 PM
Default RE: I WONDER....

true...i'll start saving too. hopefully these cars don't blow up on us. haha.

Old 12-02-2006, 03:05 PM

They won't blow up on us because we aren't going to use the NA engines. I mean if we are going to do this thing we might as well do it right. So first I am getting a complete 6G72Twin Turbo engine swap. They can be had along with the Getrag tranny(used in the VR4's), ECU, Wiring Harness, Alternator, Starter, Distributor, Power Steering pump, All manifolds, All sensors etc for between $2K and 2.5K. Then I will get DR500 turbos from Dynamic Racing for $1300, Walbro or Supra Fuel Pump, TDO4 Kit(Stainless Steel Exhaust manifolds, Pre Cats and Downpipe) off of ebay for cheap hahaha, and a Front Mount Intercooler Setup. There have been people running mid to low 11's on DR500 turbos so I should be able to get somewhere in the 11 range with those babies. After that it will be pretty much just bolt ons for a little bit more power and to improve efficiency, durability etc. I mean I plan to get the Engine and FMIC setup with the TDO4 Kit first, then save up for the DR500 turbos later...maybe even after putting on some new rims lol. I dunno. I have a big list of everything that I am going to do to my car....infact I think I will post it....here:

TT SWAP PARTS AND OTHER PERFORMANCE PARTS:
1) JDM Engine, Harness and ECU, TT Tranny ~$2500
2) New Clutch to handle power ~500.00
3) DR500 Turbos ~ $1299.99
4) Solid Engine Mounts - $220
5) Aluminum Flywheel -$400.00
6) Headers Kit with down-pipe and Hi Flow cat with custom 3” exhaust - $600.00
7) TurboXS Blow Off Valve - Type H-RFL(3SX) -$169.95
8) CUSTOM Front Mount Intercooler (IC off of ebay with piping off of ebay) ~400.00
9) Blitz Dual Turbo Timer Digital Compact + Harness ~160.00
10)Walbro or Supra Fuel Pump(140.00)
11) Fuel Injectors 550cc ~ $350.00(or maybe 720cc)
12) Quaife LSD ~$1200.00
13) New Cam Gears ~$500.00
TOTAL TT Stuff * ~ $8500.00

BODY STUFF:
1) New Rims and Tires ~ $1000.00
2) Full 99 Conversion(Rear center Garnish & Sails, 99 Front End Conversion) ~ $2300.00
3) Viper Hood ~ $600.00
4) 99 Front Lip ~ $400.00
TOTAL BODY * ~ $4300.00

INTERIOR STUFF:
1) New Rearview mirror ~$24.00
2) UR- Short Throw Shifter ~$159.95
3) RH Door Handle Trim ~$8.00
4) Aluminum Defroster Vents ~$129.95
5) Racing Seats ~$500.00
TOTAL INTERIOR* ~$825.00

Yea so I mean...it is a heck of alot of stuff and money that I will be putting into it but when you think about it....the truth is...I love the 3000GT. I would take it over any new car out there. I just don't like other cars as much as I like mine. So I mean I will be putting 14K into my car but guess what? It will be as if it were brand new again...better than brand new. Not only would it have killer looks but it would have killer performance to match. Yea if I just got a VR4 then I wouldn't have to worry about like 3-4Grand or so but I LOVE my car and I am never going to sell it. I am just going to build it up to where it needs to be. I mean it will take alot of work and money and alot of time but when you think about it 14K couldn't really even get you a civic hahaha so it is better for me to use it to build up my car than use it to try to get a new car. I am sure that when I do some of these things that I will be able to get them for alot cheaper prices than are advertised at the moment because I have alot of friends who can get parts and stuff mad cheap so yea I could end up saving upwards of 3Grand on this setup. All this stuff will prob take me about 5 years to get but 1 by 1 I will check things off when I get them done and sooner than I think, I'll be done. Well 94? You up to working this hard? hahaha. Alot of this stuff isn't needed but stuff I want so I mean feel free to use this as a rough guide or just as reference or something. Peace out!

Old 12-02-2006, 09:04 PM

Aside from benchracing. I have a question. Why swap in a motor from an AWD TT and convert it to FWD TT? That just doesn't make sense to me. You really wouldn't be saving yourself much work....it's not that much more to convert to AWD.

Stock for stock and in the real world, an AWD will leave the FWD from a dig, and a FWD will get ahead from a roll. Weight loss has it's advantage from a roll in a FWD and is a disadvantage from a dig, the rule above still applies. I used to get wheelspin if I was at around 3/4 throttle when my car was FWD and that was ~130-140whp. Again, stock for stock, the FWD won't catch up as fast as some of you might think if the AWD has a good deal of gap.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:43 PM

TT SWAP PARTS AND OTHER PERFORMANCE PARTS:
1) JDM Engine, Harness and ECU, TT Tranny ~$2500
2) New Clutch to handle power ~500.00
3) DR500 Turbos ~ $1299.99
4) Solid Engine Mounts - $220
5) Aluminum Flywheel -$400.00
6) Headers Kit with down-pipe and Hi Flow cat with custom 3” exhaust - $600.00
7) TurboXS Blow Off Valve - Type H-RFL(3SX) -$169.95
8) CUSTOM Front Mount Intercooler (IC off of ebay with piping off of ebay) ~400.00
9) Blitz Dual Turbo Timer Digital Compact + Harness ~160.00
10)Walbro or Supra Fuel Pump(140.00)
11) Fuel Injectors 550cc ~ $350.00(or maybe 720cc)
12) Quaife LSD ~$1200.00
13) New Cam Gears ~$500.00
TOTAL TT Stuff * ~ $8500.00

BODY STUFF:
1) New Rims and Tires ~ $1000.00
2) Full 99 Conversion(Rear center Garnish & Sails, 99 Front End Conversion) ~ $2300.00
3) Viper Hood ~ $600.00
4) 99 Front Lip ~ $400.00
TOTAL BODY * ~ $4300.00

INTERIOR STUFF:
1) New Rearview mirror ~$24.00
2) UR- Short Throw Shifter ~$159.95
3) RH Door Handle Trim ~$8.00
4) Aluminum Defroster Vents ~$129.95
5) Racing Seats ~$500.00
TOTAL INTERIOR* ~$825.00
You'll see a few of these cars on Ebay selling for CHEAP halfway though the swap. Don't get too carried away and start this project until you have a master plan in effect. Otherwise you may find that is might be more than you bargained for and have to pull out halfway through. Go to a 3S only site and read more about it and really educate yourself before taking the plunge. Read about your states emission laws and requirements and find out if your potential swap and modifications will be affected. It's nice to dream about the swap and how it's going to end up, but you have to take a realistic approach. This is just my opinion.

J

Old 12-03-2006, 02:17 PM

well if i don't get completely sick of my car and have enough income to **** 14k away on a 13 maybe 15 or 16 year old car by the time i have the money, yeah i guess im up to massaging my 3000 into the 11's as you say. i really planned on keeping my car until i die when i bought it 2 years ago. i fell in love with it about 5 years ago when i would pass it going to school every day. you see i bought it from a private dealer who lived on some back road. i would intentionally take this back road just to see a glipse of this car. i swore that as soon as the for sale sticker went on there i would buy it. i saved up for it, working as a dish washer in a local resturant called the shady rest. yeah it was pretty shady since they woldn't even put me on the books.

well like i said, i swore i would buy it as soon as the for sale sticker went on and i held true to my word. the sticker was said to only have been on there for about 10 hours before i saw it and stopped in to tell them i would like to buy the car. i sent it to the mechanic and they said everything checked out good. i bought it 2 hours after that. it took the bank a while to get the money out and on a bank check. lol. i unfortunately didn't know how to drive a standard at the time and when my mom went to go teach me. she used to have a 86' mr2 which was also a standard. i imediately dropped the cluth and we went flying down the bak road at speeds that might have gotten my licence taken away. i thought this was the start of a perfect relationship.

as for the awd v.s fwd, no offense but we do realize that awd does entail more tracktion but wouldn't it be more embarrassing for a vr-4 to loose to a fwd tt than to a vr-4 clone. we just want to enhance our features not, "bastardize" something that we enjoy driving already. thanks for the input though. your avenger is awd ami correct? if it is, congrats on making it that way. good project. i've never seen something like that done before.

Old 12-03-2006, 04:20 PM

silvercoupe97, if I wanted AWD it would be on my list of parts. First off the TT engine is not an AWD engine. There is no such thing as and ENGINE that is FWD or AWD. That stuff is determined by the tranny. Second of all, to do a FWD TT conversion of the AWD tranny all you have to do is weld the VCU. If i decided to go AWD, I would have to get a whole new rear subframe, driveshaft, transfer case etc etc which I GUARANTEE would cost more than welding a VCU. Thanks for your input tho. One more thing....I have approximately 200whp at the moment and I don't spin my wheels unless I am trying to....

Joel_CA, first off I checked ebay, and there are none of these cars half way through the TT swap. Second of all if you checked 3si there are approximately 40 FWD TT conversions and about 18 that are in progress....so obviously people aren't undertaking the process all the time. You also said that I should have a master plan before I do anything....look at the post i made, does that not look like a "plan" to you? Yea I might not have written everything down step by step but that's the stuff I keep in my head. Next up is State Emission's laws. I have a 95 3000GT and will be swapping in a first gen TT engine and tranny etc. In NC where I like if your car is 95 or older then you are a SAFETY only test...no emissions. That meant I could have a check engine light on and still pass as long as my muffler and crap aren't falling off my car. Thus, I can gut my precats or just run precat eliminators all together as long as I have 1 catalytic convertor of some sort on my car, I will pass. So I was thinking of MAYBE doing a 3" Hi-Flow from 3sx and doing my own piping from there. Sound good to you? And for the record, I am taking a realistic approach because I WILL make my dream happen. Thanks for your input though,

94 3kgt sl I think that is really cool how hard you worked to get your car. That alone shows me that if you want something bad enough then you will work to get it done and that is what the two of us will do. Don't get discouraged because your car is older. It still turns heads and when we do full 99Conversion/updates to the styling with good looking rims then our cars will look like they are brand new. The styling is timeless on our cars. Also, we both know that when we spank some dude in his stock VR4, he will be pretty sad and we will prove that even though a car is FWD, you can still run incredibly fast times even from a dig if you work hard to make sure that your car gets the power to the road.

I will keep you all posted on my progress. Look for something big around June/July 2007

Old 12-03-2006, 04:39 PM

thats true i dont really spin my tires that easily. these cars have a pretty good lsd to begin with. i understand you are going to put a better one in though mr. 3000. sounds awesome.
anyways, i only really spin my tires when i drop it to race my buddies mk2 supra. i onw him every time may i add. i only have like 161 whp too. must be the gearing set up.
yeah definately keep me posted.
lol...FWD TT all the way...Don't think it will work? Just make sure not to get owned lol. nice.

Old 12-03-2006, 11:50 PM

Hey man don't take offense to my advice. There may not be any incompletes on Ebay now, but trust me- many many of these projects have gone through the ringer. Not just the 3S, but also with Eclipse Turbo conversions, etc. That post was strictly for advice only. I am not in any way putting down your project. I only say to educate youself and have a master play layed out because of this post. Early in the stages and you're asking question you should already have been prepared for or know the answer to.

J

Old 12-04-2006, 05:18 AM

Ditto, please don't take offense to my opinion.
As for my comment, I think my post was misinterpreted.
GS-T vs. GSX, in stock form, the GSX will always beat the GS-T off the line and vice versa from a roll. I'm not making that up, it just is, lol. Different platform, same basis.
The original post was about "stock for stock" and my comment was based on stock for stock from what I know of the Eclipse GSX and GS-T. I can't base it on a FWD TT vs. AWD TT since they didn't come in FWD TT form. Again, from a dig, it's a matter of who gets off the line first and unless the FWD has slicks the AWD will have the advantage. From a roll, the FWD will have the advantage because it has less drivetrain loss. The AWD won't lose by much but it's still a loss. This comment is for the original question of who would win, this isn't to sway you to go with an AWD swap instead Mr.3000 That is what you asked in your original post, correct?
Also, I never stated the motor being an AWD motor, I know better than that, because I know that the 4g63t motor is swapped all day long from GS-Ts to GSXs and vice versa, so my comments aren't to sway you from your swap at all. I was only focused on your initial questions. The other FWD/AWD comment asking why. I just don't understand why one would want a FWD to be honest with you, I've owned several and one RWD. AWD is such an advantage in daily driving, especially in inclement weather, especially around town and once more power is added, you literally have to relearn how to drive. Btw, I don't think about racing every other car out there if you haven't picked up on that tone.

Old 12-04-2006, 05:22 AM

Also, I never said anything against a swap like this, I'm all for swaps. I'm just trying to understand. I guess a posted goal of your car would help me and others understand it better in here. After all, this is an "all cars" board, not 3si

Quick Reply: I WONDER....