Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

Need some help here guys

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 07:09 AM
Default Need some help here guys

So I'm new to the site cause I might be picking up a '94 3000 GT Base Model with around 153,000 miles on it.
I was wondering if thse things can be pretty quick...and if you add Turbo's to them later on?
And how reliable are these cars?

Basically my choice right now is between this and BMW 325I.

Help me out.

Old 07-19-2006, 09:18 AM
Banned
Default RE: Need some help here guys

They are good to turbo. They are still from what i gather very reliable and quick. it is a very popular mod.

BMW is a luxury car... any mitsubishi will not have the greatest interior in the world... but it all depends what your looking for in a car.

Old 07-19-2006, 01:53 PM

either way i would go with the 3000gt because a few friends of mine have bmw's and they pay out the *** if something breaks and if you have the cash you can make the gt quick

Old 07-19-2006, 04:05 PM

with 153K miles i wouldnt even consider modding it

Old 07-19-2006, 09:29 PM

ORIGINAL: davidmitsusrock

with 153K miles i wouldnt even consider modding it

Uhhh why is that?
It's had a bunch of **** replaced and has been very well taken care of....

Does anyone else agree with this guy?

Old 07-19-2006, 09:44 PM

I do agree with him...to a point. Modding a high(er) mileage engine only quickens the inevitable. A good route to go would be with bolt-on type upgrades that would be easy to swap over to a new engine. That holds true with any engine...not just the 6G72.

To answer your original question...

Yes, they can be quick, if you consider 14's quick. (with some juice, you could run a little faster)
You can make it a TT pretty easily and many have done it. Normally with donor parts from a VR4 or Stealth TT. The only problem with more power is traction. If you plan on drag racing...there is a FWD 3000 that ran a 10.19 @ 148 (I think)...but that was with slicks and pretty much gutted...still an accomplishment though.
I have an RT with almost 160K and a TT with almost 180K...no major malfunctions...they've never left me stranded, so yeah, I'd say they are pretty reliable.

edit: I don't wanna imply that doing a TT conversion is quick or easy. You will need some mecanical aptitude and/or plenty of money.

Old 07-20-2006, 12:13 AM

I dont want to run it really, I just want to be able to haul *** hahaha...
I'm sure I'll end up doing the basics like Exhaust Headers Intake...
But other stuff...?

Old 07-20-2006, 01:46 AM

all thats good^ but the more miles you have your most likely gonna run into problems but dont put a whole lot of money into a car with that many miles.

Old 07-20-2006, 01:07 PM

I wouldn't go so far as to say that...I have two high mileage examples that I have no problem putting money into...the cost of ownership for me over the last 6 years (for both cars) is still greatly cheaper than the new cars I was looking at, at the time.

Have you ever, or do you own a 3S david?? Both of mine are "tighter" than many newer cars I have been in.

Old 07-20-2006, 06:14 PM

no i havnt i am saying up for a VR-4 but i am just assuming from most cars that the higher the mileage the more problems it will run into you cant iexpect it to go past 200k miles without any problems.

Quick Reply: Need some help here guys