Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

POWERFUL FWD

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 10:21 AM
Default POWERFUL FWD

ok so i just got a parts car for $500 and am starting to do a 5 speed conversion to my automatic. my plan is to then get a vr4 engine and tranny from a jdm place i know of for $2250. the only thing is will that be to much power to the front wheels. i dont want to have impossible launches cuz the wheels wont stop spinning. should i just try for the awd conversion too? if so where i can find all the parts i would need to do it? by the way, i'm not selling my car because the 1994 rx7 i was gonna get for $5500 as a small project isn't going to work out with school coming so disregard my last post

Old 08-13-2007, 10:21 PM
Default RE: POWERFUL FWD

I did a TT conversion on my car and it is FWD. I am using two wrx 13T turbos which are quite a bit more powerful than the stock 9B turbos that come on a VR4. First off you should not be launching your car at all and with a tt setup in it you will not really be able to but that is ok because you won't need to in order to pass people. You will have plenty of power but still be able to hook up if you get the right things. Start with either solid or poly motor mounts to greatly reduce wheel hop. If you can afford it, LSD is your friend. DO NOT TRY TO DO AN AWD CONVERSION. It will cost you so much because you need to do alot of custom fabrication and unless you 1) Know how to do it yourself or 2) Have lots of "Custom-Fab" money don't even go anywhere near that project. A FWD-TT is a highway monster. You may not be able to take people down from a dig but once you are moving, the FWD-TT is disgustingly fast. I hope this helps....oh yea I was at a measly 5psi with my Hybrid 13T setup and did a pull at 75% throttle from 20-80 and it took me just about 4 seconds.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Mr.3000
If you can afford it, LSD is your friend...
Yes...without the LSD...you'll be doing peg leg burnouts until you shell your transmission.

I also agree with skipping the AWD conversion...

Old 08-15-2007, 12:37 AM

where can i get an lsd?

Old 08-15-2007, 12:52 AM

so i just did some reasearch and i found 2 lsd's for the 3000gt. one is the speed freak limited slip differential transmission insert and it only costs $230. the other is the Quaife lsd and it costs like $850 but ppl on 3si say it costs more. any others come to mind? someone on 3si says he installed the speedfreak one and says it works great.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:36 AM

I wouldn't use the speedfreak one. All it does is lock the diff, kinda like a positrack, and it wears out after awhile and quits working. Speedfreak Racing also does not have a stellar reputation on 3si.
Kormex used to make a LSD for fwd cars...at least I think they did.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:37 PM

yea they did unfortunately finding one of those will be quite a feat. If you are just doing a basic tt conversion, if you get a good clutch you will not NEED lsd to just drive around and stuff. Now if you go trying to peel out in first gear and bark 3rd and crap then yea you better get an LSD or your tranny is gonna be toast. With a tt converion you will not need to slam it like you do in your NA to get your car to get up and move. If you treat your car nicely, it will treat you nicely for the most part haha. There are plenty of guys with 300+fwhp with stock tranny's that are running around. Don't take it to the track and don't do any racing from the dig and you should be ok.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:44 PM

the parts car that i have is an n/a 5 speed. will that tranny be ok with a vr4 engine or was the vr4 tranny different. also i probably wouldn't do any racing from a stand still anyways. i don't really like to do things like that. but you know, when your on a 2 lane road and a honda's pissin you off, you just gotta gun it if you know what i mean. but an lsd would be something that i'd consiter alittle bit after th conversion just to have that extra little bit of traction just in case an opportunity comes to smoke a wrx or something with some worthy power at a stop light

Old 08-15-2007, 07:33 PM

just wanted to test out the signature

Old 08-15-2007, 09:36 PM

The tranny's are quite different...but will bolt up fine.

On this board, for an image to work, you have to use [IMG][/IMG]

Quick Reply: POWERFUL FWD