Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

Questions about the 3000GT. Looking to buy one...tell me the good and the bad!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 04:24 PM
Default Questions about the 3000GT. Looking to buy one...tell me the good and the bad!

hi im looking at the 3000GT VR4s but I cant decide on a year. my fav so far is the 1999 but i would take anything 95 and up and just switch the headlights. Is there anything that is better about the older ones vs the newer ones. Pros and Cons of the model in general. I know theyre wicked heavy =[ but I guess what I want to know is what most ppl do. Do you keep your 3000GT as is or do you switch motors from older years into newer models. Like i know that a lot of ppl put 6 bolt motors from the eclipse 1gs into 2gs and its suppost to be better. is there a simmilar thing that 3000GT owners do?? I tried looking for a 3000GT forum but couldnt find one. So hopefully a lot of ppl on here have some 3000GT knowledge for me.

Thanks. Sorry these are probably annoying questions. I am trying to do some research now but i figured id still ask. Thanks!

Old 05-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Default RE: Questions about the 3000GT. Looking to buy one...tell me the good and the bad!

First of all, you can't switch the headlights of a '94 - '98 3000GT with the '99. The '99 headlights are unitized with the clearance/turn signal lights. The others are not. If you are interested in a car that will keep its value, try to find one with low mileage and only do mild and professional upgrades such as intake, turbo piping, and exhaust. If you try to do too much, it takes away from the original ethstetics and cheapens the car. If you buy an older 3000GT or one with a lot of miles, then you can do pretty much what you want and not hurt the value.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:07 PM
Default RE: Questions about the 3000GT. Looking to buy one...tell me the good and the bad!

She seems rather proficcient with the Eclipses... why not stick with the Eclipse?

Old 05-07-2007, 05:43 PM

really....thats crappy....i kinda only like the 99 headlights. and to answer the other question....i dont really want an eclipse...im probably getting a 2g gsx anyways....from my bf but i wanted to buy the 3000GT myself.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:48 PM

ON the up side... you could prolly easily find someone that will trade a GSX for a 3kGT... not a 99 though...

Old 05-07-2007, 06:07 PM

also obviously im not looking to change tooo much...if you knew me & my taste you'd know that but...i just happen to only like the '99 headlights and i was told that you could switch them.and i know someone that has an older VR4 and he said he has the 99 headlights as far as the "professional" upgrades. obviously. my boyfriend owns a shop & i hate ricey crap. so...i dont really worry too much. He has an 03 evo 8 and a 2g all wheel turbo. Also im not looking for a car to fix up and sell. Im looking for a car for me to enjoy. Im not too worried about its resale value. All I mentioned that I wanted to change was the headlights...so...yeah. and the motor stuff i was JUST ASKING if there was a way the car could be improved, if one of the motors on one of the generations was better or stronger. All years on all cars has pros and cons. I was just asking a simple question not for someone to question my taste. I just dont know too many people that have these and I figured the forum would be a good place to ask.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Dusty Eclipse

ON the up side... you could prolly easily find someone that will trade a GSX for a 3kGT... not a 99 though...

would they be willing to trade a VR4 3000GT though? lol. I kinda would wanna keep teh GSX too though. =[

Old 05-07-2007, 06:16 PM

ORIGINAL: hollyannaeree

I tried looking for a 3000GT forum but couldnt find one.
Check out 3si.org/forum, that is the best place to find knowledge on the 3000gt/stealths.

Good luck!

Old 05-07-2007, 06:22 PM

ORIGINAL: twntrbopwr

Check out 3si.org/forum, that is the best place to find knowledge on the 3000gt/stealths.

Good luck!
You get all the knowledge along with all the flaming ********...I'm not sure how fair of trade it is.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:23 PM

ORIGINAL: twntrbopwr

Good luck!

yeah i just joined that one...it seems pretty good but there didnt seem to be too many ppl online right now. I tried the other 2 as well...someone had posted them on my welcome message.

Thanks. =]

Quick Reply: Questions about the 3000GT. Looking to buy one...tell me the good and the bad!