Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

Quick Question...VR4s breaking??

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 02:09 AM
Default Quick Question...VR4s breaking??

okay so....i found a VR4 I wanna buy....ready to put a deposit down on it....(gotta go take a look at it first and do a compression test) anyways...my bf has been being really ****ty about me wanting this 3000GT he wants me to just get a 2g (eclipse or talon) but he wants me to get like a gay auto non turbo...which obviously...what would be the point...i would clearly want like a gsx/tsi anyways...so even if i did get a gsx/tsi it doesnt change how i feel about the 3000GT. I want it. So hes been trying to convince me...saying that itd be hotter for me to roll up in a 2g blah blah blah..and im like everyones gonna see it and be like...non-turbo, auto....gayyyy. so anyways...he says the main reason he doesnt think i should get a 3000GT VR4 is because he thinks its gonna break a lot (and obviously the parts arent as cheap as a dsm) anyways...do they break a lot?? is there any validity to what hes saying...and idk what hes talking about saying it wouldnt be a very dependable car for me cause dsms seem to break allll the time. So anyways....any imput would help. This is driving me nuts...i know i can get a pretty nice GSX for like 2k (ish) or spend like 5 or 6k and get the VR4 im looking at.

Thanks everyone.

Old 05-12-2007, 02:32 AM
Default RE: Quick Question...VR4s breaking??

They don't break any more than any other performance vehicle. I don't think there's really anything wrong with a VR4 safety wise. It's built like a tank.
I think he's "afraid of the unknown". Just like folks who want to step into a DSM and have a ton of questions. Reliability is a big one. It's normal. I think he's just lookin' out for his girl....and when you decide you want more out of the VR4, he may be kind of overwhelmed by it because it's a different motor.
Modding is the same theory with both cars. As for reliability....any modded car will break or act up at any given moment. A stock car will break when it's tired. So, yes and no to that. DSM break because most are modded incorrectly..just as any 3kgt will do if done wrong or out of order. Stock and modded will also break before it's time if abused.

What it boils down to is pricing. Initial pricing and parts/repair pricing.
Looks...If I saw a hottie driving a DSM it's hot. If I saw a hottie driving a 3kgt, still hot.

It sounds more like an issue of your safety...or he doesn't want to be known as the guy with the hottie and VR4, lol. Stick to your guns, if you need help with either vehicle, there's enough brainiacs on this board to help you.

Old 05-12-2007, 02:39 AM

I never had a problem. Alot if not all of the relibilty rumors are from a.) poor maintance. b.) lack of experence with "normal" car. One of my favorite quotes is "If you want the vaule of the Evo to decrease. Start false rumors about reliablity issues and crankwalk."

Just show him this pic to show him how safe these cars are.

Name:  Picture007.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  84.8 KB

Old 05-12-2007, 03:48 AM

^ A freakin' tank!

Old 05-12-2007, 08:23 AM

ok so i have had my 3kgt for about 2 and a half years now, and yeah when you buy something used (even a dsm) you are going to run into things that are breaking and its disappointing.........but you can't expect anything used to stick around forever. yeah when it come down to it you might be spending a little more on maintenance, but an auto non-turno dsm isnt as cool as a 3000gt vr-4. no offense to anyone who drives a non-turbo auto dsm.
personally i think that he's afraid ur car will be faster than his. thats why he doesnt want u to get one. just remember that these cars are not ordinary cars. they deserve respect while driving them. so if you get one treat it right and bring it to a mechanic who either specializes or has worked on the cars.
good luck and i hope you do get ur vr-4!

Old 05-12-2007, 11:07 AM
Banned

From what i hear its highly doubtful anything she owns will be faster.

Well notoriously the 90-94 spin bearings on the bottom end a lot. This is perticularly expensive with these cars A) because its a V6 and B) because the engine bays are so cramped and hard to work on... adding up to more labour cost.

I think Silver has his the nail on the head though. He is just scared in stepping out into the unknown. I can relate to that. Im most comfortable with DSMs.

He needs to realise that your not his f***in daughter and can do what ever the f*ck u want.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:24 PM

aww thanks silvercoupe97 that was very helpful. i dont think my car will ever be faster than his Evo8 or his fleet of 2gs/1gs lol. but i do feel some sort of like....hes not excited about it. I know hes never had one, and only worked on 1 so far. And i was saying to him ...listen if you dont know how to work on it just be like...i dont really know what im doing. but he insists that he does & that he would be able to work on whatever. (hes a dive right in type of person...hes workin on a mustang now...and hes never worked on them before. he specialized in dsms but he also has worked on stis, bmws, supras, blah blah blah....all that crap. so idk what his problem is...but i would be less resistant to the 2g if he would get me a sweet one....i mean he could even take the price of whatever car he wanted to get me and i will give him the extra for a gsx...why would i want a non-turbo auto...especially after whenever we see any 2g non-turbo hes so...dissapointed. ya know. if im gonna get a non-turbo automatic car....might as well get a freakin camry.....those are pretty dependable.

Old 05-12-2007, 01:15 PM

I think hes just jealous and doesn't want you to have a nicer car(notice nicer not faster) I'm assuming its a modded evo because I've beaten a couple of stock Evos with the Vr4(also lost to a few). Oh, and people who say they are expensive to maintain has never owned a German car.

Old 05-12-2007, 01:39 PM

I am the first owner of my 95 4VR4. I took it for all it's scheduled maintenacce with Mitsu, this is important, so see if you can get the service history ortry to buy one from original owner. The only problems I have had, are normal wear and tear, crank pullys, shocks struts, etc.. My goal is to replace thngs as they wear with after market. The aftermarket is a bit cheaper, and I have found a good mechanic in the pennslvania area. These cars a great, and reliable. I have had a 2002 S55 AMG, 2002 E55 AMG & my current 2005 S55 AMG, all Mercedes. They have all been in the shop more then my 12 year old VR4. Further my 95 VR4 never spent the night in the shop, just in for regualr maintenance, or to fix or replace parts. All of my Benz's have spent time, sometimes a week in mercedes shop.

Get the VR4. Sounds like your bf is well equipped to handle the mechanical part, saving you on labor. I am sure he will think of other ways for you to re-pay him....

Old 05-12-2007, 02:01 PM

lol. yeah its a modded evo...and i dont think it will be losing to any vr-4s any time soon. He put down 550 to the wheels BEFORE his turbo upgrade and on his stock block and stock headers...he will be getting his built motor hopefully this year..and after that.....i dont even know. He has always beaten everyone, from a roll or a dig. It prolly helps that hes a crazy good driver as well.

anyways....one of the things he randomly brought up during our dissagreement was "its not like im jealous so dont think that" which obviously means...he wishes he was baller and had one too lol. like not that he loves the vr4 like i do....but im sure he'd like one to add to his collection of cars.

He currently has the EVOVIII, a tsi with the gsx conversion that he just finished, his bmw 3 series, a dodge ram 1500, just sold his wicked clean 1g (ppl said it was the cleanest 1g theyve ever seen...i guess its a rare year and what not....mint leather seats, we painted it...blah blah), hes sold...since ive known him....93.5 Supra Twin Turbo, that 1 g, a white GSX 2g w/cf hood, lol randomly...a honda civic..(and we all hate hondas...i think he got a good deal and flipped it) 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee x2 but i crashed one of them that he gave me. =[ , another truck GMC Sierra, a white turbo 1g talon, a black 1g gsx, a red 2g gst, i think theres more...but i cant remember right now. Before we knew each other he had a 99 GSX, a 02 BMW (idk which one, im bad with bimmers), navigator, del sol (once again...idk...i dont think he had that too long) and like....12 dsms...or more (assorted 1gs and 2gs lol)

BUT notice....out of that plethera (sp) of cars.....do you see one 3000GT?? Nope. And now lil ol wifey wants to get one. lol.

Anyways sorry for the long post....but i think it comes down to....he doesnt want me to get something hes never had, and hes prolly not sure how it would be to work on....since its not something hes ever had before. (even though he keeps throwing in my face that he has worked on 1 once. lol. it still doesnt compare to his countless dms encounters)

Quick Reply: Quick Question...VR4s breaking??