Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

Quick Question...VR4s breaking??

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 03:08 PM
Banned
Default RE: Quick Question...VR4s breaking??

Power to you : )

You dont sound like a dumbass, you have a decent head on your shoulders. I dont see why hes so against the idea. I dont see why you are letting his opinion sway your decision at all.

Old 05-12-2007, 03:09 PM

Would it make him happy if you got a base model 3si?

I guess if you really wanted to **** him off you could get a WS6.

Old 05-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Banned

Or a ricer CRX?

Old 05-12-2007, 03:52 PM

Like many have said, these cars or no more or less reliable of similar cars the same age/mileage. The are sports/gt cars, and most of them have been driven as such. Things will wear out (like any car) and need to be replaced.
I have 2 Stealths, an RT with almost 170k and a TT with almost 190k. They have never let me down or needed any major repairs. They do require strict maintenance (like was said). If the maintenance is kept up, they are very reliable. There are many owners on 3si with over 200k on their TT's. Most of them are on the original engines.
I wouldn't worry too much about safety, they are built like fricken tanks as their near 2 ton curb weight suggests.
The 1st gens are no more prone to spinning bearings than the 2nd gens, that is a myth. The 2 bolt-4bolt argument for small block chevys is valid, not so much for the 6G72. What really happens, is people take a higher mileage car, attempt to increase the power without taking proper precautions for engine/fuel management, datalogging, etc. and end up "knocking" the bearings into submission. Only a fool takes an old engine and tries to make a racer out of it.
As far as a cramped engine bay, it's not nearly as cramped as a 300z, and not much more cramped than an LS1 TA/'Maro. The only things that are real difficult to get to is the rear turbo and engine mount. Once you dig into one, you'll find that the layout is very serviceable. It's one of the few cars I've owned that I can change the oil and filter on without having to jack it up.

Old 05-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Banned

Il agree with that.

Actually the 300ZX did cross my mind lol.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:37 AM

hmm good to know. thanks

Old 05-14-2007, 02:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Sebba

From what i hear its highly doubtful anything she owns will be faster.

Well notoriously the 90-94 spin bearings on the bottom end a lot. This is perticularly expensive with these cars A) because its a V6 and B) because the engine bays are so cramped and hard to work on... adding up to more labour cost.

I think Silver has his the nail on the head though. He is just scared in stepping out into the unknown. I can relate to that. Im most comfortable with DSMs.

He needs to realise that your not his f***in daughter and can do what ever the f*ck u want.
i told her that she should get a 2g vr-4 and that her bf is scared to have a girl with a bigger engine lol jk jk

Old 05-14-2007, 03:42 PM
Banned

Its all abouts whos biggest......

Old 05-15-2007, 12:33 AM

lol so about me putting a deposit down on that one.....

there was one on 3si.org that was 5k for a 92 that had a motor just rebuilt last year....it was like whole big thing when i went to go look back at the thread...it was in the for sale section here. i called the guy friday and he said when i wanna look at it i can put a $500 non refundable deposit down on it....its in pa im in ct...so i had to see when i could make a 8hr trip (over 4 there and 4 back) anyways...so i went to go look at the thread again....and i guess someone went down to look at it on sat and put a $500 deposit on it, but the guy was still taking offers and then the guy that put a deposit down was like uhh wtf i put a deposit down.

the guy thats selling it then posted...i asked for a 2500 - 3k deposit, you came up here with a $500 check. I havent even cashed it yet. im gonna shread it. Im selling the car to the first person who shows up with 5k. I wont hold the car for a young person.

then he had the thread locked. idk. he said he only wanted to get the money back because he bought another VR4 same thing pretty much. said he only had the car for a week and hasnt even driven it yet.

idk the whole situation seems like too much to deal with. like wicked sketch.

and if the guy didnt wanna take the $500 he shouldnt have accepted the check, and should have at least let the guy know...how ****ty would that be to go to look at the thread to see the pics again and find out hes talking to other ppl about buying the car you put a deposit on. lol. ****ty.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:49 AM

ORIGINAL: hollyannaeree

lol so about me putting a deposit down on that one.....

there was one on 3si.org that was 5k for a 92 that had a motor just rebuilt last year....it was like whole big thing when i went to go look back at the thread...it was in the for sale section here. i called the guy friday and he said when i wanna look at it i can put a $500 non refundable deposit down on it....its in pa im in ct...so i had to see when i could make a 8hr trip (over 4 there and 4 back) anyways...so i went to go look at the thread again....and i guess someone went down to look at it on sat and put a $500 deposit on it, but the guy was still taking offers and then the guy that put a deposit down was like uhh wtf i put a deposit down.

the guy thats selling it then posted...i asked for a 2500 - 3k deposit, you came up here with a $500 check. I havent even cashed it yet. im gonna shread it. Im selling the car to the first person who shows up with 5k. I wont hold the car for a young person.

then he had the thread locked. idk. he said he only wanted to get the money back because he bought another VR4 same thing pretty much. said he only had the car for a week and hasnt even driven it yet.

idk the whole situation seems like too much to deal with. like wicked sketch.

and if the guy didnt wanna take the $500 he shouldnt have accepted the check, and should have at least let the guy know...how ****ty would that be to go to look at the thread to see the pics again and find out hes talking to other ppl about buying the car you put a deposit on. lol. ****ty.

look on autotrader =D, because forums arent always the best place to look. people scam. so i would look into craigslist. in the surrounding areas of your area, and then id check autotrader, and call some dealerships to see if they can get a hold of one.....

Quick Reply: Quick Question...VR4s breaking??