Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

rumor or fact???

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 03:55 AM
Default RE: rumor or fact???

Ask just about any VR4 owner what weight motor oil they use and you'll get the typical 5w-30 or 10w-40 or somewhere in between. What most owners don't realize is that the TT engine required 20w-50 as specified in the owners manual. This has LOTS to do with spun bearings! Owners just don't realize what they're doing...

Joel, CA

Old 06-07-2006, 09:25 AM

thanks for the advice guys, how would i go about getting the tranny case replaced at a dealership? do i have to like show them the title or something?

Old 06-07-2006, 12:04 PM

ORIGINAL: EMonz57

You cant honestly say they dont spun bearings? come on how many 1G 6G72TTs have you seen do it.
Of course they spin bearings...but of all the reports I've read about it, it normally happens when someone puts huge turbos on an engine with 100K+ miles, running gobs of boost, poor preventive maintenance, and poor logging capabilities...sure, they are gonna spin bearings.
I just had the 180K check up done on my 92 RT/TT, and since the pan had to be dropped to replace the oil pump, I had the rod bearings checked/replaced, they barely had any wear (after 180K). Quality oil and regular service intervals DO make a difference.

You mention being leery of the 1st generation 3S...good advice, but I'll take it one step further and say, be leery of ANY 13-15 year old sports car...

Old 06-07-2006, 02:28 PM

I've had both (still have the VR4) , and didn't have a problem with either. TheStealth is right about the spun bearings too. Modding a car can start all sorts of problems.. And preventative maintenance, that should be common sense.

Old 06-07-2006, 05:19 PM

ORIGINAL: mystic 3si

I've had both (still have the VR4) , and didn't have a problem with either. TheStealth is right about the spun bearings too. Modding a car can start all sorts of problems.. And preventative maintenance, that should be common sense.
yeah thats what i plan on doing, im going to put on alot of new parts mabey give it a tuneup. over time, to shed some of the old parts that might start problems.. but it will "take off" miles if i get new parts.. thanks again for the heads up guys...