Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

Should i Get a VR4?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 04:28 PM
Default Should i Get a VR4?

OK, so my dad just announced to me that he would be willing to spend 11-12 (maybe maybe 14K) grand on a car for me (totally didn't expect this). So I've been poking around and looking at different cars, and my eye caught the 300+ HP spec on the 3000GT VR4.

Right now I'm 16, should have a job this summer, but my parent will probably pay for at least half of the insurance until i go off to college; so I'm wondering, would a 1992 3000GT VR4 be a good first car for me? I've been reading around, and I've seen they seem to be somewhat high maintenance, is this true?

I found one that has 30,000 miles on it (wow for a 92), been in storage for the last 4 years for $10,000, by the pics it looks like it is in mint condition, he has all the documentation on all repairs and services it has had, and the car has never been in a wreck. Has new tires, and has a recent service. It also has some custom detailing, some custom interior stuff, and some custom gages. He also says it has aturbo timer, boost control, and air intake (direct quote).

So I'm wondering, will a car like this be a good first car (I'm pretty good at mechanical stuff, but i don't have much knowledge on cars older than 1970ish)? Like will it be reliable enough to last me for a good while without costing me a fortune to maintain? Or should i keep looking for a new car that may be more reliable and has cheaper replacement parts?

What do you guys think?

Picture:
http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/2...00gtvr4bq0.jpg

Old 03-27-2007, 06:01 PM
Default RE: Should i Get a VR4?

First off, the 320hp thing is to the fly... not the ground and that car is HEAVY. Those cars are not known to be very reliable and insurance (especially for being 16) will be insane. They are very high maintenance cars, though, that much is correct. If you want to try to build up a decent car... Id much sooner suggest to you getting a 2g Eclipse/Talon GS-T/X or TSi (AWD). Theyre better cars and youll find that there is MUCH more support for those vehicles than the 3000GT/Stealth. Keep in mind also, if it sounds too good to be true... it prolly is.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:14 PM

Ya, those deals usually are

My cousins have a mustang and an eclipse, so I'm trying to steer away from those......at least the last styles of those cars.

......doesn't necessary need to be a Mitsubishi, but then I'm in the wrong forum now, lol.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:39 PM

A Talon then maybe? Theyre bascily an Eclipse... without the "Fast and Furious 'me too'" part... for instance: http://www.dustyeclipse.com/pages/1/talon.html
Uhm... dont look at the bottom pic, lol...

Old 03-27-2007, 06:41 PM

Whoa thats a huge dent o_O..... and dusty is right btw... 3kgt is a bit more advanced car..... id say go for the talon

Old 03-27-2007, 06:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Dusty Eclipse
Id much sooner suggest to you getting a 2g Eclipse/Talon GS-T/X or TSi (AWD). Theyre better cars...
...yeah, because DSM's are the epitome of reliability.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:52 PM

lol, itsnot that Stealths or 3KGTs are UNRELIABLE per se... but...

Old 03-27-2007, 06:57 PM

great cars but you are soooo lucky to get your parents buying you a car that expensiveif youv'e not been driving that long get a smaller car like an eclipse,the vr4 is large and powerfull and more a grande tourerbut if your in an accident its one that your more likely to survive in,its solid

Old 03-27-2007, 07:19 PM

In all honesty...for your first car, you should be looking at SL's. Except in fantasy land where everyone thinks they need a 500hp car, the 300+hp a VR4 is quite a bit for an inexperienced driver. Cut your teeth on one of the lower powered models, then move up.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:19 PM

the VR4 is a great car. my dad used to own a white 1991 with red interior. The lower years like the 91-93 (1st generation) did have electrical problems that forced you to find someone who knows what they're doing when fixing 3kgt's. this happened to my dad and he was forced to sell it because he was sick of fizing it. i'm 16 to and i've got a 1993 now. i love it. even tho it's not a vr4, it gets a heck of a lot more looks then an eclipse or talonwill get you. on an average day, especially where i live, i can drive around town and find at least 15-20 eclipse rollin around, but no vr4. i'd go for the vr4, but get a later model, 94+, theyre the ones with 320hp. that 92 will only give you 300. and the later models will run quicker. ive been thinking of selling my 3k and gettin a vr4 myself hopefully by the end of the summer if i can find one for a good deal. yeah, the insurance will jump up for one, but come on, we're kids, we want fast cars. and for $10-14k, ur not gonna find much of a better car then the vr4.

Quick Reply: Should i Get a VR4?