Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 01:26 AM
Default turbo

ok jsut wondering about this, i don't much about turbos and i'm just throwing this out there, but could u just fab something up and put a single turbo right after the down pipe of the SL, and not have to make custom exhasut headers, like i said just thought of this for some reason and thought i would ask.

Old 10-31-2006, 01:33 AM
Default RE: turbo

rear mounted turbo? i think they gave done that before. maybe not with an sl but prob with something else.

Old 10-31-2006, 02:24 AM

i too only now the basics of turbos, but my flat mates know alot and he said maybe.....but kinda pointless

Old 10-31-2006, 02:57 PM

ok, i just won't do that, like i said jst thorwing out there, oh if anyone else reads this, a lil off topic but 3G lifters, how hard would it be to do mysself, how long would it take, and if i had someone else do it how much would it cost to do

Old 11-28-2006, 07:11 AM

Turbo'ing the NA engine requires a beast load of work. First off you need the TT ECU because the NA ECU wasn't really meant to see boost. To run the ECU you will prob need a TT harness which you will most likely have to match up year to year with the ECU because there were differences even within the same generation. Second of all the heads and exhaust manifolds on the NA just aren't that great compared to the TT versions. You then have to get new fuel injectors, a new fuel pump, oil feed and return lines etc etc. If you are going to go turbo on your FWD like I am then just do it right. Get a TT Engine with everything with it. Everything is already set up to run boost and since you are now dealing with 8:1 compression vs. 10:1 you don't have to worry too much about engine knock rearing its ugly head at you. I mean just save up your money and do it right the first time so you don't have to end up doing stuff over again. Custom fab'n exhaust manifolds, a collector pipe(assuming you go single vs twin) and a new custom down pipe means that you are going to spend alot more money than you initially anticipated. Anytime you do this kind of work it means you are stepping into relatively unfamiliar territory which leads to alot of further modifications because the custom piping hardly ever fits right the first time. Then if you break a part in the future you can't just go online and buy a new one. I would say save your money and get a complete tt engine swap. I have found JDM Front Clips(which is the whole front end of the car) for $2500US for the 3000GT Twin Turbo. Complete engine swaps including Complete Engine, ECU, Tranny, Wiring Harness, Alternator etc can be had for 2Grand or less. Just shop around but I think that going that direction is your best bet.