Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

Vr4 suspected coolant problem.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 01:55 AM
Default Vr4 suspected coolant problem.

Several things are going on with my vr4 that it plain should not be happening so I have been driving it less and using another car. At first the issue was after letting off of the throttle at high rpms a delayed white smoke (coolant) would come out and you could see a bit of coolant over flowing from the radiator cap.

Coolant level for now is good and no oil in it, wasnt over heating or atleast according to temp gauge.

But then I noticed it smoking from the hood slightly and from the exhaust at lower rpms. Where the car was parked you could see coolant on the ground, it had leaked out.

Also the rpms lowered a bit at idle however the car seemed to be running well and no loss of power.

Have not had time to look into things much, but will tomorrow afternoon. I wanted to hear anyones input. The car has 145k miles, fairly fresh oil. Never has had radiator or water pump or any hoses replaced, thinking that or a seal could be why. Also scared it could be head gasket or cracked head related. Will know more tomorrow after work when i can take a closer look at things. Please give me any recommendations on what to do/look for or what you think the problem could be and why. Thanks.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:05 AM

could be an air bubble in the system, bad thermostat, fans not turning on, clogged radiator, bad water pump.... you need to go through the system and find the problem

It's not your headgaskets.