Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/)
-   Mitsubishi Diamante (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-diamante-16/)
-   -   01 diamante transmisson problem (https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/mitsubishi-diamante-16/01-diamante-transmisson-problem-32354/)

thesupraguy 04-27-2009 09:38 PM

01 diamante transmisson problem

hello everyone,
I am a supra owner/enthusiast looking to pick up a diamante for a DD and looking for some transmisson information. The car that I'm looking at does not move when put into drive, the fluid is good, no burnt clutch pack smell etc. I believe its something electrical or pump related due to the fact the current owner just stopped at a light then it would not move from there. Is there any quirks with wiring or other information that could help me?

thanks for your help.

-Jesse

Manybrews 04-27-2009 10:23 PM

if it doesnt move at all, it probably mechanical. even without any electronics, the trans should have 3rd gear and reverse.

dsm1990gsx 04-28-2009 11:52 AM

If you have no foreward or reverse I'm betting the pump took a crap. Try hooking a pressure gauge and see what your pressure is.

thesupraguy 04-29-2009 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by dsm1990gsx (Post 243329)
If you have no foreward or reverse I'm betting the pump took a crap. Try hooking a pressure gauge and see what your pressure is.

yea, thats what I was thinking too. because if it was something mechanical, there would be some sort of warning, plus the fact the the ATF is very clean. That will be the first thing I will check.

Would you have any idea on how much a pump would run?
thanks

dsm1990gsx 04-29-2009 11:59 AM

I have no idea, but there would be a lot of labor since the trans has to come out.

ninedice 04-30-2009 01:26 PM

hey, mine has the same problem. when you turn the car to the on position, but not start it, and you shift out of park, do you get a quiet buzzing sound from the engine for a few seconds? mine does that and im not sure what it does.
also, which pump are you guys talking about?

thesupraguy 04-30-2009 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by ninedice (Post 243410)
hey, mine has the same problem. when you turn the car to the on position, but not start it, and you shift out of park, do you get a quiet buzzing sound from the engine for a few seconds? mine does that and im not sure what it does.
also, which pump are you guys talking about?

I'm talking about the ATF pump in the trans. Automatics shift using accumulators, when the accumulators fill up with fluid and gain pressure, it kicks it into the next gear. Without that pump causing the ATF to move you will not move anywhere. I messed around with modding autos for the supra including the accumulators and valve body, but got sick of it and put the 5spd in awhile ago.

ninedice 05-01-2009 12:09 AM

hm, this wouldnt also happen to be called a torque converter would it? or is this something else?