Mitsubishi Diamante For the faithful Mitsubishi owner, this car offers high end luxury without high end luxury pricing.

94 Diamante -- Headlights & Tail Lights stopped working!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by dsm1990gsx
Do you have brake lights now? Sounds like a combo of issues.
I think it was so bright outside I could not see that the brake lights were working fine. They are fine now.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:46 PM

Just to be clear: the only lights which are not illuminating are:

a) the headlights
b) the dashboard light indicating high beams are in use (when they are turned on)

Old 03-10-2009, 07:36 PM

By the way, thank you for walking thru all of this with me. I appreciate it.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

Check your multifunction switch. Check for power to the switch and see if your getting voltage from it to the head lights/high beams.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by dsm1990gsx
Check your multifunction switch. Check for power to the switch and see if your getting voltage from it to the head lights/high beams.
By "multifunction switch" do you mean the headlight switch on the steering column or something different? I'm thinking that this is the issue.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

At this point I'd check both.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:55 AM
Default Prince of Darkness

Welcome to the frustrating home of Mitsubishi electrical design. I have rewired complete harnesses on the Diamante so I have a little knowledge on the Mitsubishi wiring. First, because a fuse isn't blown, doesn't mean the circuit is good; there may be no power getting to the fuse. The power distribution schematic shows this in detail. You are better off checking for power at the fuse with a multi-meter. Just have your meter reading DC volts and put the black to a chassis ground and touch the red on the input side of the fuse. When trouble shooting relays, find the terminal that is the ground for the relay and put your meter to the Ohm setting. Check that there is 0 resistance between the terminal and chassis ground. When the electrical problem is intermittent, there is a better than even chance that the problem is a faulty ground. Mitsubishi did a good job rust proofing the chassis, but all of the brackets that hold stuff together rusts just with the forecast of rain; guess where most of the grounds are? On the brackets of course. Now, for your problem. Given that your headlights don't work, nor does the Hi-beam indication, the problem is in the power to the relay solenoid. You can check this by taking your multi-meter and checking for power to terminal 4 of the Headlight relay, (A-02X); This is with the lights on of course. The power comes from the Automatic light shutoff, which is a little device that sits on top of the ETACS unit. The problem that I have had like this before is the driver door switch. If it is grounded out, the automatic light shutoff will keep the lights from coming on. Somewhere it talks to turning the key on and off to reset this function, but if the door switch is shorted, this will do no good. There is a little screw by the switch. Unscrew this and pull the switch out. There will be a connector to the switch. Just unplug the switch and see if the lights work. If not you need to get to the Automatic light shutoff and trouble shoot it. My money is on the drivers door switch... Good Luck.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:20 PM

Hello I have the same problemI`ve checked all relays and fuses also removed all door switches and still no lights where do i go now