Mitsubishi Diamante For the faithful Mitsubishi owner, this car offers high end luxury without high end luxury pricing.

Changing Spark Plugs in a 2002 Diamante

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 08:20 AM
Default Changing Spark Plugs in a 2002 Diamante

Just looking for a little help with a part name.
I notice the plugs are underneath, what I would call the intake manifold. I've heard someone refer it to as the plenum. What is correct, or are they both correct. I'm asking because, I assume I will need a new gasket. Just want to get the correct one. Any advice on removal/install, or preferred parts for rotor,cap,wires and plugs would be helpfull and gratefull.

Thanks,
Ryan

Old 12-15-2008, 09:38 AM
Default RE: Changing Spark Plugs in a 2002 Diamante

on this picture #11400 is the intake and #11342 is the plenum #11308 is the gasket you'll need its p/n is md319873

Old 12-16-2008, 12:14 PM
Default RE: Changing Spark Plugs in a 2002 Diamante

Thanks for the reply! As once again you've replied to my post quickly. Would you happen to have any tourque specs? Not a big deal if you don't. I'll dragthem out of the dealer.

Thanks again,
Ryan

Old 04-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Default Changing Spark Plugs

Nice Diagram.
Does that show everything that has to be removed in order for me to get the hidden 3 plugs ? Im new to this vehicle so I would rather save 700$ for the tune up when it is only costing 90$ for the parts & my time. Any advice on how to go about this ?

LRod

Old 04-07-2009, 03:06 AM

There are brackets on the rear and side of the plenum that need to be removed/disconnected- along with the throttle cable and any other vacuum lines (brake booster) or tubes (EGR) going to the plenum. Disconnect and remove the intake hose leading to the throttle body. If you have EGR- be carefull not to drop the metal gasket once you unbolt the EGR tube from the plenum. Theres no need to disconnect the coolant lines to the throttle body. Once you have everything removed and the plenum is loose- swing the plenum up on it's side using a bungee cord to hold it up. **place a rag over the exposed intake ports to prevent anything from unknowingly falling into the lower intake***. With the plenum propped up on it's side (throttle body on the bottom), you will now have access to the rear plugs.
Upon assembly- hand tighen all of the side and rear brackets. Tighten the actual plenum to lower intake bolts to spec- THEN tighen the bracket bolts completely.
I STRONGLY suggest you use NGK or Nippon Denso Platinum or Iridium plugs ONLY. Stay away from any Bosch, Champion or any other plug for that matter. If you've got over 120K on the ODO and you're still using the original ignition cables- replace them with either factory cables or NGK cables. Those are the only brands that i have seen with perfect fitment. Any other cheap brand, and you'll be doing this job again after a few thousand miles. The factory ignition setup is a very trouble free. The only time there are issues is when an owner decides to try and save money by using less than quality parts.

JJ

Old 08-22-2009, 06:44 AM
mjt

Can either of you tell me what brand the OEM plug is? I pulled one on mine and it was a champion. I figure its a Nippon or NGK and not sure platinum or iridium.

Thanks

Old 09-01-2009, 10:00 AM
Default plugs

Not sure> Could be Denso platinum. I have alot of Denso on my car. I have not started my Plug change out yet. I'm going to push it to 70,000. I change my T-belt @ 60,000 when scheduled. The T-Belt was brand new looking. I figured I'll make it to spring of 2010. Probaly bad advice from me though. I believe plugs are scheduled for 60,000miles......could be wrong. I also believe everything is under the hood of the car re: spark plug info. I'm just not standing by it. Goodluck.