Mitsubishi Diamante For the faithful Mitsubishi owner, this car offers high end luxury without high end luxury pricing.

Electrical problem, 97 Diamante...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 10:36 AM
Default Electrical problem, 97 Diamante...

I have developed a strange problem with my 97 Diamante. It has 116K miles, timing belts and water pump have been replaced. The valve cover gaskets leak, I have planned to change them soon anyway. My problem started as a dont drive it for 3 days the battery is dead. I checked the charging circuit wit a test from manual, it checked fine. The alternator checked fine. I remedied the problem with charging the battery when I wasnt driving it. I would disconnect the neg terminal and puta float charger on it until the need to drive it came around. I drive a motorcycle daily and this problem just arose yesterday. I tried to start it after connecting the neg cable and nothing, nada...so I changed the batter to a brand new, never used battery, nothing, nada. I havnt gotten to check anything yet. I just anticipate a direct short somewhere. I have a digital manual, except it is for the AUS models and is a bit hard to follow sometimes. (I will share, just ask). Any ideas before I get started would be greatly appreciated, relays, etc.....
thanks heaps in advance,
Kevo

Old 11-27-2008, 10:41 PM
Default RE: Electrical problem, 97 Diamante...

ok well despite ur previous battery issues i would take the starter in and get it tested. did charging the battery when u werent using it actually work and u were able to start it when u reconnected the battery?

Old 11-28-2008, 07:09 AM

Prior to 11/26/08, my fix was adequate, I thought, until the day that the part(s) would finally and completely fail. This problem wasnt new, it would happen every summer for the past 2 summers, if I didnt drive it for 3 days, the battery drained. Sometimes it would go 2 weeks or more. (In the spring, summer and fall, I ride a Goldwing or my old sportbike exclusively/daily, small shoping items, errands, etc.) I could never put my finger on the problem. I would just connect the fully charged battery and I would be fine as long as I drove it daily, I would even trust it on long trips as it never let me down, until 11/26/08 when I hooked it back up and tried to start it. I assumed that the battery bit the dust. I have been carrying a brand new battery in the trunk since July just for an emergency like this one. But, it was like I installed a dead battery! And since it is a holiday weekend and my kids are here, I will just have to wait until next week when I can push it into the garage and drag the starter out and have it checked. It is always something, lol. I appreciate your input very much, Happy Holidays to all!
cheers,
Kevo

Old 11-29-2008, 09:28 AM

find the source of the electrical draw and fix it.
I would start with any aftermarket items you may have installed, because 99 percent of the time they're the cause.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:08 AM

The only aftermarket items it has is the CodeAlarm alarm system installed when it hit the US shores. I have suspected it for many years as it quit locking the doors many years ago. I have never had enough trouble with it to go looking for it and I have yet to work on something with air bags. I can only assume the alarm his tucked away under the dash somewhere.
cheers,
Kevo

Old 11-29-2008, 01:04 PM

the codealarm system is useless, as the car has a factory alarm.
the codealarm system isnt needed.

But there are other possible sources of a draw. You need an ammeter to test the system.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:51 PM

well if he put a never used charged(u did charge it b4 u put it in right cuz batteries lose their charge over time) and it didnt start for him that would b one hell of a draw...i would say sumtin else is causing it

Old 12-01-2008, 05:12 PM

I have removed the starter and had it tested, (good) and re-installed it, carefully checking and cleaning each and every connection. It still gets no start voltage to the starter. I hear something clicking or powering in the trunk, maybe it is being disabled by the alarm system. I am at a loss and am going back in with my Fluke and a LED headlamp, aargh! Any ideas what the relays do in the fuse/relay box next to the battery? If the starter circuit is powered by a relay, this could be the problem? I am going to search for the alarm and try to disarm it.
thanks for the suggestions,
Kevo

Old 12-01-2008, 05:14 PM

I have 3 good batteries, I dont even get the dead battery clicks from the starter solenoid....

Old 12-01-2008, 10:09 PM

first of did u check the relay/fuse (idk what ur car all has) to the starter? if not start here. did u test the resistance of the b+ wire(the big fat wire) to the starter to c if u have high resistance?if u do check the wire. If not then check the starter ground to c if its good. let us know how it goes

Quick Reply: Electrical problem, 97 Diamante...