Mitsubishi Diamante For the faithful Mitsubishi owner, this car offers high end luxury without high end luxury pricing.

Identify Unknown Part

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 06:48 PM
Banned
Default Identify Unknown Part

I found a part on the garage floor under my 1999 Diamante. It appears to be made from plastic or polyurethane. One side is ragged like it broke off from the rest of the part. Only problem is that I cannot identify where it came from. I don't think it is exhaust system related because it probably couldn't take the heat. It looks like the material the strut shock bumpers are made from. I have checked through the factory manual and looked under the car, but do not see where it came from.

I have attached pictures from the top and bottom, though I am not sure which side is really the top. The length is 3.25 inches.

Anybody recognize this part?

Attached Thumbnails Identify Unknown Part-diamante-unknown-piece-top-view.jpg   Identify Unknown Part-diamante-unknown-piece-bottom-view.jpg  

Last edited by mrvivona; 04-13-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:50 PM
Banned

I found what it is. A stone deflector for the corner where the floorpan, inner fender and rocker panel meet in the right rear of the underbody. I found the mounting screws and remaining pieces still in place there. I checked the other side of the car and that deflector is already gone. I can't find the part listed in any diagram or service manual. I will just leave it as it is.

Over the past 26 years of Mitsubishi ownership, have found that it is not the mechanical or electrical parts that wear out on a Mitsubishi. It is the plastic and rubber parts that get dry and crack or disintegrate after 10-12 years. This is particularly true in the Florida heat. It usually starts with the foam seals in the AC ducts and the foam surrounds in the speakers. Currently the headliner is beginning to sag and the radiator has a few surface cracks.