Mitsubishi Diamante For the faithful Mitsubishi owner, this car offers high end luxury without high end luxury pricing.

Mitsubishi diamante 2000

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 10:58 AM
Default Mitsubishi diamante 2000

i want to buy mitsubishi diamante 2000. The car looks nice! I know nothing about mitsubishi. Anyone can help? I will drive it for 9 months in USA and sell it and go back to my country. Any kinda help is appreciated. Thank you.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:49 PM
Banned

I have a 1999 and 2002 Diamante and have been very active in online forums with other Diamante owners. I can help you with your decision.

The Diamante is a very reliable car and holds up remarkably well. Both of my cars look new inside and out. The exterior paint is smooth and glossy and all interior surfaces have held up perfectly.

Mechanically, the Diamante is a highly reliable car, but just like any car there are a few things you should look for. Here are the things common to the Diamante:

The heater core o-rings are prone to leak. The parts are a few dollars, but removing the heater core is a major job that can cost $1,000 unless you do it yourself. You can check if the heater core o-rings are leaking by looking under the center of the dash from the driver's side. You can use a flashlight to see the top of the ECU (on the floor, near the firewall, at the center of the dash). If it is dry, you are okay. If the heater core ever does leak, many owners report that putting Bars Stop Leak in the radiator will stop the leak, saving you the $1,000 repair cost. Putting some Bars Stop Leak in now is good insurance against it ever happening. I had the o-ring leak on the 2002 and did the repair myself. The 1999 had never leaked, so I put Bars Stop Leak in the radiator just in case.

The rear knuckle bushings can wear out, causing the rear tires to have a cupping wear pattern on the inside of the tread, leading to tire noise. The bushings are available separately and the labor shouldn't be expensive. Neither of my Diamantes have had the bushings wear out.

The engine can leak oil from the rear cam plug o-ring and the distributor o-ring. If you see oil dripping down from theses areas, that is most certainly where it is coming from. I have replaced those o-rings on both of my Diamantes.

If your radio has a security code, make sure you get the radio code from the owner. If you ever have to remove the car's battery, the radio will need a code entered to make it work again when you put the battery back in. This is a feature to prevent theft and each radio has its own code, so you will need to have the one for your radio.

If you, or a mechanic, checks the above things and they are fine, then go ahead and buy and enjoy your Diamante. Then can easily run 150,000 to 200,000 miles without problems.