Mitsubishi Diamante For the faithful Mitsubishi owner, this car offers high end luxury without high end luxury pricing.

Mitsubishi Magna 3.5L TJ Crankshaft Sensor plate moved

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2023, 04:47 AM
Default Mitsubishi Magna 3.5L TJ Crankshaft Sensor plate moved

Hi,
Was hoping someone could help me out. Thanks.
Recently I did a timing belt on a Mitsubishi Magna 3.5L, timed it up but I rattle gunned the harmonic balancer pulley bolt and it must’ve turned the crankshaft Gear sensor plate, now the notch won’t line up with the timing marks and cars running abit rough.
Just wondering what would cause the back plate to become mis aligned it must’ve moved from the rattle gun tightening I’m assuming so the sensor now is picking up the wrong info. Any suggestions how to fix? I might have to take the crankshaft gear off and inspect the plate and gear for damage or can I move it back somehow. The timing mark on the gear is 3 teeth off from the notch on the crank shaft sensor plate. It was not like that when I timed everything up initially as the notch on the gear + engine plus crankshaft sensor plate all lined up, Refer Picture below, not sure what went wrong. So I’ve pulled the front of the engine apart again and according to the picture the gear is lined up with the engine and side note the camshafts up top are aligned perfectly with their notches.
Hope it makes sense, picture attached of crankshaft gear. Also I suspect auto tensioner was not adjusted properly and caused the issue perhaps, the tensioner keeps closing fully against the barrel once the car starts which is weird because when turning over by hand the tensioner has a good 4-6mm gap agains the pulley arm. I’m thinking I’ve damaged the crankshaft sensor plate because of the rattle gun tightening or perhaps the green auto tensioner pulley I adjusted too tight. Please let me know your thoughts to all my issues mentioned. That would be great, much appreciated.
Thanks.