Mitsubishi Diamante For the faithful Mitsubishi owner, this car offers high end luxury without high end luxury pricing.

Overheating Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 09:03 PM

Condenser is part of cooling system/AC. Any problem with this system leads to non operational heater or A/C. Your engine could run normally even these systems are not working or it caused leak from the heater core but still wasn't the main culprit of overheating engine. somebody could correct me if I'm wrong.

Maybe you have coolant leak somewhere or engine oil leak. Just check from time to time before and after a trip. Sometimes it happens when the car is running. It builds a lot of pressure where if there's a loose or leaked somewhere it could appear only when and while the car is on the run.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:59 PM

Well now that it is hot weather again I had the same symptoms of overheating when sitting in traffic.

I decided to verify Condensor and Radiator fan operation by shorting the relay connections in the fuse box (Pull the relay and short across the poles to turn on the fans). This allowed me to verify Fan speeds and directions.

This test allowed me to learn that the Condensor fan was rotating in the wrong direction ! Blowing toward to the radiator versus sucking from the radiator. This fan had been replaced with Dorman part # 262868 as an OEM replacement. The connector however was not compatible. With the tab on the connector removed the connections could be made in either direction, of which the wrong direction was chosen.

I believe this has solved the overheating issue !! Fan Rotation Direction is KEY !!!