Mitsubishi Diamante For the faithful Mitsubishi owner, this car offers high end luxury without high end luxury pricing.

shaking inbetween 45 MPH and 65 MPH???

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 11:07 PM

I had always thought that radial wound tires are inherently unstable, they will not track a straight line by themselves like belted bias-ply tires. So any play in the suspension will allow the tire to wander as you drive. The caster angle is what provides stability for radials, but they still will wander if a tie rod joint is worn. Braking really amplifies the instability.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:23 PM

I have had the same experiences in the past with my 97 Daimante, I attribute it to a bad/dirty injector that makes and engine shake about that speed from time to time in my car. (117K). I am in the middle of resurrecting my D after it has had a charging/draw problem for the last 5 years, turns out, it was the rear view mirror (auto dimming feature). The dealership unplugged it, I replaced the battery and all is well again, well, except for the oil leaks which I am running down currently which led me back here and I think I have found it with just a little reading, thanks again to all who post the fixxes here....
cheers,
Kevo

Old 12-10-2009, 11:53 AM

Check if your tires have a split wire inside the tire i had similar issue it shaked 10 mph and between 50-60 mph,check alignment and balance tires if that dont help you then its to the shop :-)

Old 12-02-2010, 12:26 AM

I know Im a little late but this still may help. Struts and tie rods will not cause vibration they will absorb vibration though thats why when your replaced them the vibration went down due to new absorbing parts. The most likely thing to be causing the vibration is the torque converter. There was a sevice bulletin posted on this from mitsubishi the torque converter causes a shudder as they call it. Same thing happening to my girls car right now. Take it to a shop tell them you think its the torque converter. Good luck

Old 01-16-2016, 10:42 PM
Default why ppl ask questions they already have "answers" too...

Originally Posted by Manybrews
anyone that thinks it will is foolish.
but i guess ill listen to the person that has owned what... 3-5 cars? and fixed what? 5-10?
or maybe ill tell him that since ive worked on mitsus for 17 years (conservitively 10000 cars, give or take) that im quite certain worn tie rods cant cause a vibration.
apparently you don't understand the harmonics of vibration. a tie rod has no motion. it has nothing to be out of balance. a vibration can be both transferred through it and into it, but it cant induce one on its own.
everything vibrates at some frequency, but youre talking about a dynamic vibration, as in the car has to be in motion. since the tie rods are in the exact same motion whether the car is moving or standing still, the vibration is not originating from them. otherwise, the car would vibrate the same no matter what speed you're traveling.
No, you need to focus on things than are changing dynamically as you move. The wheels/tires are almost assuredly to blame, but obviously warped brake rotors, wheel hubs, bent axles, and any other part of the car that is changing its frequency AND amplitude as you accelerate is the culprit.
i suggest you have a quality, roadforce balance done to your tires. keep in mind that just because a tire is balanced does NOT mean it wont vibrate. you can balance an egg, but it sure wont roll smoothly. hence the reason for a roadforce balance.
I been tryin to find forums that help when everythings been tried,and I keep finding the same web puke?? I thought answers to questions were meant to be responded to with thanks,and ill check that out?? Instead I see ppl happy that pretty much tightening some bolts fixed 90% of their problem(probably only temporarily) and they got that measurement in perfection from the local engines 101 drop out,and then kick the possible seasoned Mitsubishi mechanic in the nuts fer tryin to explain that there's probably more that needs looked at,and intelligently tries to argue why the square block wont fit in the round hole??? I mean, no offense??😉 I found this lookin up a similar issue with my own diamante,but all I can find is arguing about tie rods making ur steering wheel and car vibrate at higher speeds?? What a joke!! The two subwoofers in my trunk must be causing the vibration when I accelerate to get on the freeway??
Of course,it could be my modulator ramification mechanism is completely fried,so I should probly get new windshield wipers??? That's gotta be it!! The manual says check minor things 1st... It COULD BE as simple as tires unbalanced,or motor mounts(tranny mount too..),or it says worse case is transaxles.. Other things in the $20 repair manual but forget that!! Ima change my tie rods,ball joints,and tighten my lugnuts?? Makes sense since none of em spin to cause vibration doin 55 mph... Well,except the lugnuts kinda spin,technically... Anyone know any Forums with totally useless feedback... Oh... Riiiiggght!! Duuh...😈