Mitsubishi Diamante For the faithful Mitsubishi owner, this car offers high end luxury without high end luxury pricing.

Valve cover gasket replacement steps

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 05:17 AM
Default Valve cover gasket replacement steps

Can anyone help me find the thread for valve cover gasket replacementsteps on a 2001 Diamante. I thought I found it on this site previously but now I can't seem to work the search function. Thanks

Old 02-06-2009, 09:54 PM
Default RE: Valve cover gasket replacement steps

I learned that the thread I was looking for is on a site that no longer exists. What a drag to lose so much information.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

Which v/c gasketare you trying to replace?

Old 02-13-2009, 07:35 AM

Thanks for the reply. It turns out my valve cover gasket is o.k. I don't need to do the job again. I found the oil leak and it seems to be fixed.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:23 PM

I am looking to do the same. I have a small leak on the rear of the valve cover. I need to replace the gasket. I figured I would do both at the same time since I will be in there.

2003, Diamante VRX.

Any steps on how to get to the gasket? Is it similar to the eclipse steps found here ?

Thanks!

Oh also First Poster. Thanks for welcoming me into this community. I look forward to it!

Old 03-14-2011, 07:06 AM

If you go to Autozone.com (parts store, I know) and add your vehicle to the "My Vehicles" section, you'll then see a View Repair Guide link above your car model. You might have to refresh the screen to get it to pop up, but it's there.
In the Repair Guide menu, go to Engine Mechanical and then scroll way down to the bottom of the left menu to Valve Covers. Instructions and pictures within.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:05 AM

Thanks for that, I did that and found the writeup!

Old 03-15-2011, 03:45 PM

Hmm after looking at the replacement proceedure, I am not sure if this is my problem.

I have a small oil leak at the rear of the engine block closest to the firewall of the engine bay here: http://img195.imageshack.us/i/img1708gg.jpg/ (close up from behind where leak is) and it is dripping back and down onto the exhaust manifold causing smoke to come out from the burning oil.

Oil Leak Location (looking down at the back of the engine from the passenger side fender): http://img855.imageshack.us/i/img1709s.jpg/ . What is this that that screw is attached to? Is that the valve cover the rear of the two?

Some more photos:
(engine top)http://img251.imageshack.us/i/img1705b.jpg/
(side) http://img25.imageshack.us/i/img1710jk.jpg/
(side, closer)http://img830.imageshack.us/i/img1706g.jpg/

Thanks for helping me figure this out.

EDIT: After looking at some more research materials, this looks like the rear rocker gasket. sees to be the same as valve cover since spark plugs go there as well... so now just how to remove the intake manifold to gain access..

Last edited by bfaridnia; 03-15-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:27 AM

I think you're on the right track.
While you've got the manifold off, I'd probably change the plugs as well if they are old. Be sure any valve cover gasket kit you get includes the six black rubber spark plug tube seals. I think they all include those, but be sure.
Also, since the intake manifold is coming off, remember it has a gasket as well. I'd drop the extra $20 and replace it when it goes back together. Or at least have a returnable one sitting there ready to use in case.
Be sure you torque the cover back at the correct spec. Rent/borrow a correct torque wrench at a parts shop if you have to. Valve covers can distort pretty easily if you overtighten.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Fe2O3
Be sure you torque the cover back at the correct spec. Rent/borrow a correct torque wrench at a parts shop if you have to. Valve covers can distort pretty easily if you overtighten.

ugh, just finished this repair. I have some good news and some bad news. The good news, I was able to do the repair. I took pictures along the way and will now start to work on a DIY so others can learn how to do it as well i figured this since the online research doesnt really show one how to remove the intake plenum and get access to the right valve cover.

zNow for the bad. Well, I decided I wanted to make sure I would not over tighten the valve cover nuts, so i got myself a new torque wrench. This wrench turns out to be defective and guess what, over tightens the nuts. I noticed on the first one but it was too late It already bent the valve cover and the broke the gasket. I didn't realize how bad it was until after everything was put together. ( I did the rest by hand) once the car was on, I realized there was still a small leak. After not wanting to go back into it again (for lack of time) I took it to my mech. He took a look and told me that the cover and gasket was gone. With the replacement parts, this $250 job now costs $423. Learned a lesson though, dont trust the torque wrench...

But back to the good news, at least people will learn from this. Stay tuned for the DIY on this forum.

Quick Reply: Valve cover gasket replacement steps